lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-02-2021, 07:06 PM   #1
alesv
Not Yet Wild

Default Benifit of upgrading from old style coil resistor

Just bought a 90 club cart DS 36 volt has the coil resistor going to a v glide. Series system. I put new batteries in it cleaned all connections and upgraded 4g battery cables. The cart doesn’t seem to have any power to go up a hill let alone through my front Yard. I read about up grading with Scotty’s C54 kit. But not sure how well it would do using 36 stock motor for now until after new batteries die then change over to 48. I emailed him but didn’t get a definite answer. Just “it will be about the same”
My question is has anyone use his kits with a 36v motor? And was there. $1200 noticeable difference in performance when it comes to hills. I understand it’s not going to make my cart a speed demon until motor upgrade . But is it worth using it with a stock 36 for the time being.
We will be using this at camp but going through some fields on our disc golf course.
Thank you in advance
alesv is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-02-2021, 08:37 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Benifit of upgrading from old style coil resistor

With the same motor, batteries, your hill performance won't change by going to a solid state controller. Full power is the same.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 12:14 AM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Upgrading to solid state and 48v will be a big difference.

Upgrading to solid state and leaving it 36v will give you smoother pedal response at slower speeds but do nothing at full speed.

Stock series carts kinda suck up hills or in grass. That’s just how it is. Even 48v stock carts are irritatingly slow up hills and in the grass… like 8-9mph isn’t uncommon. (I have a 99 DS… stock. Slow as ball$ In grass and up hills. I also have a 2008 IQ that cruises at 25mph so the stock cart is probably fine for most people but annoys the crap out of me. I want to stick my leg out the door and kick to help it along ).

Long story short, upgrading to the solid state system and 48v will not do what you want for $1200. It can help prepare you for a 48v upgrade. Or…. You can upgrade to 48v now and just replace the solenoid(s) with 48v. Huge performance boost and it’ll work fine for a while, depending on the condition of your components. Some people get a few weeks and some people run it for years like that no problem. Just be prepared for when it does break to do a method of conversion to solid state for if/when it does finally break. The motor itself will be fine, it’s the resistors or the v-glide that will usually fail
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 08:30 AM   #4
alesv
Not Yet Wild

Thanks. That’s what I’ve been reading . Now to weigh the difference in selling it and upgrading newer cart or converting to 48 or a IQ
alesv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 03:26 PM   #5
greg-g
Gone Wild

Just go AC and forget it upgrading a series cart to series is useless
greg-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car