lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-30-2021, 09:33 PM   #1
89awiley
Not Yet Wild

Default Club Car DS won’t do ANYTHING !! Move, charge, click, buzz…nothing

So just purchased a 48v (4 12v batteries) 07 Club Car DS and it will not do anything. I’m getting no movement, no solenoid click, no charging, no reverse buzzer, just plain nothing. So far after talking to a few people I replaced the MCOR and it didn’t do a thing. And I did check to make sure the key switch was properly getting voltage. So any tips on how to pinpoint and/or text for possible issues would be much appreciated !

1. Bad OBC ?
2. Bad controller ?
3. Bad solenoid ?
4. Can bad batteries cause these issues ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B22EC65A-BD24-4198-ABA6-EF8B0D284D7A.jpg (15.8 KB, 0 views)
89awiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-30-2021, 09:56 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Club Car DS won’t do ANYTHING !! Move, charge, click, buzz…nothing

Could be any of the four things - but first you need to check the batteries! Get them fully charged. If the cart charger doesn't work, use an automotive charger and charge each one individually. Then you can start troubleshooting the rest of the stuff.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 10:49 PM   #3
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

As Volt_Ampere said it sounds like the batteries need attention first. Check each to make sure the fluid is 1/2" above the plates.

With a digital voltmeter, check for voltage on each individual battery, do not disconnect the cables. You will see 12.73 volts on a fully charged 12 volt battery. Then check the pack voltage. You should see 50.93 volts if fully charged.

I know you are much under those readings. Then charge the pack overnight and recheck individual and pack in the morning. Wait 12 hours and check again.

Let us know what readings you have. Check all battery cables for corrosion. Clean and tighten as required. Then we'll try to help from there.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 06:03 AM   #4
89awiley
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom47 View Post
As Volt_Ampere said it sounds like the batteries need attention first. Check each to make sure the fluid is 1/2" above the plates.

With a digital voltmeter, check for voltage on each individual battery, do not disconnect the cables. You will see 12.73 volts on a fully charged 12 volt battery. Then check the pack voltage. You should see 50.93 volts if fully charged.

I know you are much under those readings. Then charge the pack overnight and recheck individual and pack in the morning. Wait 12 hours and check again.

Let us know what readings you have. Check all battery cables for corrosion. Clean and tighten as required. Then we'll try to help from there.
So I did go through and individually charge each battery until I got a reading of around 11.4 each and pack read 45ish volts. I assumed this would have been enough to kick the charger on, is it not ? Even with a charger plugged directly to it and giving the pack 49ish volts the charger won’t kick on. And I have confirmed the charger works on another cart and have tried another charger from a different cart as well.
Old 12-01-2021, 07:48 AM   #5
Scott quail
Gone Wild

If its not charging, check the fuse on the back of the receptacle and in the yellow fuse holder on the gray wire. If they are both good then your issue is likely the OBC. You can bypass it by taking the Black wire from the receptacle and putting it directly on the main Negative post. This will bypass the OBC but your charger wont work. OR, just run a jumper wire from the main NEG post to the black wire on the receptacle, then try the pedal. If the solenoid clicks than you know the OBC is bad.
Scott quail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 09:39 AM   #6
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Buying an old cart that has been sitting for a while can be challenging to figure out. As others have said, batteries need to be tested/charged up to a level that gives you the ability to check other things. If you have correct water level and have charged each battery with a car charger overnight and not getting them higher than 12.4 volts (after they sit for 8-12 hours), they are most likely shot.
How old are the batteries? If you have to replace them, get 6 x 8 volt batteries, you won't regret it.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 09:45 AM   #7
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Also, start at the battery negative and clean/inspect/replace all connections/cables that look bad using a wire brush. Continue all the way back to battery positive. You can spend a lot of money replacing things (guessing), when it could be a bad connection/cable. Little time can save a lot of money. This also gets you familiar with your cart and how it operates. Be sure to disconnect batteries when doing this.

https://www.batterycablesusa.com/2-g...battery-cables
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 09:45 AM   #8
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89awiley View Post
So I did go through and individually charge each battery until I got a reading of around 11.4 each and pack read 45ish volts. I assumed this would have been enough to kick the charger on, is it not ? Even with a charger plugged directly to it and giving the pack 49ish volts the charger won’t kick on. And I have confirmed the charger works on another cart and have tried another charger from a different cart as well.
I'm not sure what voltage is needed for the charger to start, but 11.4 per battery and 45 for the pack indicate DEAD batteries. Try charging them individually to at least 12.1 volts or more. That would put them at 50% charge which is the minimum for a 12 volt battery. Then see if the charger will start.

If you can't get them above 12.1 volts each by individually charging them, they are defective and need replacement.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 11:41 AM   #9
89awiley
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott quail View Post
If its not charging, check the fuse on the back of the receptacle and in the yellow fuse holder on the gray wire. If they are both good then your issue is likely the OBC. You can bypass it by taking the Black wire from the receptacle and putting it directly on the main Negative post. This will bypass the OBC but your charger wont work. OR, just run a jumper wire from the main NEG post to the black wire on the receptacle, then try the pedal. If the solenoid clicks than you know the OBC is bad.
When saying “receptacle” in this bypass proceeds your taking about the charging port correct ?
Old 12-01-2021, 02:46 PM   #10
Scott quail
Gone Wild

yes.
Scott quail is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car