lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-30-2021, 04:39 PM   #1
j_man_21050
Not Yet Wild

Default Ezgo Marathon 1980-1985 - Complete Electrical Rewire

I have the opportunity to purchase what I believe is a 1980-1985 model year Ezgo Marathon electric golf cart (based on the body style). I looked at the cart but could not find the serial number. I found an almost identical cart online and looks to be a 1981 model year. Price is $300, no batteries, missing a rear wheel, ignition switch missing, 36v motor is present, FNR switch present, potentiometer ("throttle plate") present. It also appears that all of the electrical components are present but in an unknown working state. The motor on this cart is mounted perpendicular to the rear axle, so that should make this a 1980-1985 model based on the body styling (the front cowl is all metal, no plastic piece.

My plan is to restore from the frame up. Frame appears to be solid. Minor rust to the body panels and brackets. Battery frame rusted and needs replaced.

The big question is...what all is needed to do a complete rewire of this cart to a 48v system using modern parts? If the motor is viable I would like to use that for now and upgrade in the future. For now I want to replace ALL of the electrical components sans the motor. Where do I begin and what do you recommend?

I would like to keep my electrical budget around $1000-$1200 without a motor and batteries. I plan on making my own cables except for the wiring harnesses. I literally want to remove all of the existing electrical and start from scratch to a modern system. Is this even feasible?
j_man_21050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-31-2021, 08:52 AM   #2
coosa
Gone Wild

Default Re: Ezgo Marathon 1980-1985 - Complete Electrical Rewire

Keeping it stock and replacing everything except the motor is certainly doable. You can still buy everything you need to do it. I have a motor I will give you if you are ever around AL.

But I'm not sure you can change it to 48 volts and keep it a resistor cart, so that means you have to buy a controller kit. Honestly, I wouldn't do it. The battery pack alone is gonna cost close to $1000. I would look for a cart that already has a controller and just upgrade it. It is much easier to get information on how to do that than it is to convert a resistor cart. I have noticed that when folks ask questions about resistor carts on here they don't usually get a lot of answers. I think that is due to the fact that most here haven't worked with them.

Good luck whatever you decide.
coosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 12:37 PM   #3
j_man_21050
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by coosa View Post
Keeping it stock and replacing everything except the motor is certainly doable. You can still buy everything you need to do it. I have a motor I will give you if you are ever around AL.

But I'm not sure you can change it to 48 volts and keep it a resistor cart, so that means you have to buy a controller kit. Honestly, I wouldn't do it. The battery pack alone is gonna cost close to $1000. I would look for a cart that already has a controller and just upgrade it. It is much easier to get information on how to do that than it is to convert a resistor cart. I have noticed that when folks ask questions about resistor carts on here they don't usually get a lot of answers. I think that is due to the fact that most here haven't worked with them.

Good luck whatever you decide.

I do not want to keep it stock. I want to remove ALL of the old wiring and replace everything except for the motor right now.

This is a project cart that will get a tear down to the frame and put back together with a lift kit, new electrics (including motor at some point), rims/tires, seats, etc... Body is in fairly decent shape and will be restored to as original condition as possible. I want an old body with new guts!

What does everyone recommend as far as new electrical components?

My budget (including batteries) is about $3,000. Mechanical drive train is intact and functional and will remain original except for a lift kit, new brakes, and rims/tires. The paid $300 for the cart. Pics to come as I pick it up tonight!
j_man_21050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 01:01 PM   #4
Briboy
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Talk to Scottyb, you can do this within your budget.
He has a kit just for this type application....
If you have the technical skills you will be happiest doing it this way.
I completely understand what you are doing, I am doing the same thing with a 95 Yamaha. I am basically starting from scratch.

https://www.cartsunlimited.net/unive...rsion-kit.html
Briboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric ezgo, marathon, restoration
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO