lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-03-2020, 11:38 AM   #1
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default How-To OBC Bypass the Easy Way

There's a thread about this already, but it's multiple pages long and covers a bunch of different stuff. Some of which doesn't really apply to the bypass, some does, but most of it is spread out and difficult and confusing to find exactly what you need.

So here is a quick and easy way to properly bypass the OBC on your Club Car cart.
This applies to MOST 48v Electric Club Car carts equipped with an OBC. Some earlier models may have minor differences, but the process will be much the same for all OBC equipped carts.
I don't want to get into the "Why" to bypass the OBC in this thread. I'm just going to cover the "How" with hopes that it helps people more easily find and make the proper connections to bypass the OBC.

This should cover Club Car DS and Precedent, as well as other sub models based on the DS platform such as Villager, Carryall, Turf, and many other 48V electric Club Car models.
These photos show the proper connections to be made for a SEPEX drive system. SERIES carts will vary just slightly and I will cover those a bit later.

The basics are that we need to bypass the charge current (amps) regulating circuit of the OBC which is done on the Black negative wires. We need to connect the Charge Receptacle Negative to the Pack Negative which can easily be done right next to the OBC without needing to use any new wiring, or re-route any wiring. This has to be done for a new "smart" charger to work properly.
We also need to bypass the OBC lockout function of the controller. We provide 48V to the controller on the lockout wire so the controller will allow the cart to operate. Normally the OBC provides this voltage, but if the OBC has failed it may not provide that voltage any longer, and the controller will not allow the cart to operate. This is how the OBC puts the controller in Charge Interlock or Lockout to prevent motion of the cart while the charger is plugged in. So to get around this, we will take the 48v input from the Tow/Run switch that goes to the OBC on the White wire, and jumper that voltage to the Blue wire that inputs the controller interlock. Supplying 48v to the controller on the Blue wire Disables the interlock and allows the cart to operate.

Very simple, all you need is two crimp connectors. 1 Yellow and 1 Blue.
Before starting any electrical work on the cart, ALWAYS flip the Tow/Run switch to TOW, and Disconnect the Battery Pack Main Negative Cable!

Find the Two Black wires going into the OBC, and find the White and Blue wires in the OBC 6 pin harness connector.

Cut the Black wires a few inches from the OBC, strip the ends about 3/8", and join them together with the Yellow crimp connector. This completes the circuit from the Charge Receptacle - to the B- connection at the controller, or at the terminal block next to the controller on some carts. Either way, this provides a direct path to the Battery Pack Main Negative.

For the White and Blue wires we can do this several ways. In this example I have just cut the wires on the CART side of the connector and joined them together with a blue crimp connector. That's all that is Necessary to complete the bypass, and now you can use any Smart charger you like to charge your pack, and the cart will operate with no inhibition.

You can also clip the wires on the OBC side of the connector, leaving several inches of wire coming out of the connector. Join the two together in whichever manner you prefer (solder and heat shrink, crimp connector, etc).
Then clip off the other wires at the base of the connector, or disassemble the connector and remove the other wires and their pins from the connector entirely.
Some people prefer to remove the OBC entirely at this point. I'll leave that up to you.

The cart in these pictures is an older Regen 2 cart, and while the wire coloring is similar, you will find that on Precedent and DS IQ or Excel carts you will have a Light Blue wire, rather than Dark Blue. In those carts the Light Blue is the lockout wire, and needs to be connected to the White wire.

On a Series cart, you will not have a 6 pin connector as pictured. You will have a 3 pin triangular connector with a Red, Brown, and Yellow wire.
The Yellow wire is the Negative for your solenoid and is how the OBC handles charge lockout on a Series cart. Clip the Yellow wire on the Cart side of the connector, and join that Yellow wire with your two Black wires in the same crimp connector to provide the negative connection for your solenoid to operate.
Or crimp a 5/16" ring terminal connector on the Cart end of the yellow wire, and attach it to the B- terminal on the controller, or B- terminal block near the controller if your cart has one. At this point your Series cart OBC is bypassed, and can be removed from the cart if you prefer.

As for the Grey wire from the charge receptacle. It's not Necessary to do anything with the Grey wire. If you plan to remove the OBC, unplug or cut the grey wire at the OBC end, and tape/zip tie it out of the way. It can be used for lockout function with certain chargers.

Some people prefer to have, or need to have a lockout function for the Charger, which can also be easily done, but how to do that will vary based on which cart you have, and which charger you have. I'm not covering that info in this thread as it is a wider topic. If you have questions about the setting up a charger lockout there are several other threads here on the forum which cover that well, and if none of those are helpful please start a new thread asking any questions about your specific needs.

If anyone has info I may have missed, or that needs clarification or correction, please let me know and I will try to update this thread. I've tried to make this almost self explanatory, but sometimes what is obvious to one person may not be so obvious to others.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OBC bypass wiring1.jpg (286.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg OBC Bypass wiring2.jpg (289.6 KB, 0 views)

Certified Bonafide Qualified Double Battered and Deep Deep Fried
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-03-2020, 01:55 PM   #2
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: How-To OBC Bypass the Easy Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
We also need to bypass the OBC lockout function of the controller. We provide 48V to the controller on the lockout wire so the controller will allow the cart to operate. Normally the OBC provides this voltage, but if the OBC has failed it may not provide that voltage any longer, and the controller will not allow the cart to operate. This is how the OBC puts the controller in Charge Interlock or Lockout to prevent motion of the cart while the charger is plugged in. So to get around this, we will take the 48v input from the Tow/Run switch that goes to the OBC on the White wire, and jumper that voltage to the Blue wire that inputs the controller interlock. Supplying 48v to the controller on the Blue wire Disables the interlock and allows the cart to operate.
What about the Gray wire from the charger port that goes directly to the OBC? Clip, cap and stow it? Does it have any voltage on it? Can the Gray wire from the charger port be used to trigger a NC relay in the White/Lt Blue line to enable the Lockout by opening the circuit when a charger is connected?

Update: Thank you for condensing this. I have read thru that thread 3 times and it is a bit confusing.
R&TBabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 02:11 PM   #3
mattrdee
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Great information. I just bought a summit 2 onboard and a bypass kit ($70). Think I may return the bypass kit.
mattrdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 03:20 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&TBabich View Post
What about the Gray wire from the charger port that goes directly to the OBC? Clip, cap and stow it? Does it have any voltage on it? Can the Gray wire from the charger port be used to trigger a NC relay in the White/Lt Blue line to enable the Lockout by opening the circuit when a charger is connected?

Update: Thank you for condensing this. I have read thru that thread 3 times and it is a bit confusing.
You're welcome!
The Grey wire can just be unplugged and taped/zip tied out of the way. It's not necessary to do anything with the grey wire to successfully bypass the OBC. If you plan to remove the OBC, the grey wire can be cut near or unplugged from the OBC and taped off. On later OBCs the Grey wire has an insulated spade terminal on the end, and you can literally unplug it and leave it hanging.
The Grey wire can be used for lockout control, but that depends on which charger you have, as said above, there are several other threads that cover lockout function. I may do another How To covering some of the more common ways, but don't want to get into them here.
I've added a that tidbit to the post above to try to keep info up front.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 03:58 PM   #5
sgarcia
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the great write up. Just confirm that once this is done, the "PowerDrive Charger will no longer work.

S
sgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 12:47 AM   #6
billythekid13
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

If i want to bypass the OBC but dont need to operate (drive) the cart, could I not just jumper the negative wires from charge receptacle directly to the negative on the battery pack?
billythekid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 01:50 AM   #7
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by billythekid13 View Post
If i want to bypass the OBC but dont need to operate (drive) the cart, could I not just jumper the negative wires from charge receptacle directly to the negative on the battery pack?
If you don't want to drive the cart, why would you have one?
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 04:26 AM   #8
movin-on
Gone Wild
Club Car

Another way to bypass the lockout on sepex carts is to cut the blue wire on the harness side of the obc connector and connect it to pack positive...
movin-on is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 11:46 AM   #9
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by billythekid13 View Post
If that is only for testing and not permanent. Other then that, it clutters up your battery bay and allows corrosion to those wires.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 11:50 AM   #10
billythekid13
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
If you don't want to drive the cart, why would you have one?
I'm going for the redneck yard of the week.
billythekid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car