lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-07-2016, 06:34 PM   #11
danny n
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: hello ! new to site, building a harley golf cart

nice cart I am also In the process of restoring a 66D I am having to rebuild the engine the cylinder was scratched pretty bad so I am having to bore it .010 over and probable going to replace all the bearings. here's a pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 66 Harley.jpeg (293.9 KB, 0 views)
danny n is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-08-2016, 09:35 AM   #12
backyard
Gone Wild
Columbia

Im just guessing but you'll probably have to go at least 0.020" over. I like the color combo.
backyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:44 PM   #13
danny n
Not Yet Wild

.010 took care of it. Going to order the parts Monday and more than likely take the crank to a machine shop to have the bearings pressed in?
Old 04-09-2016, 07:33 AM   #14
73eldo
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

Most of us do the bearings without a press. I don't remember the details but it don't think it was difficult to improvise something with things most guys have in their home workshops. I remember using sockets but can't remember if it was in a vise or using a nut and bolt to get em in.
73eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:26 PM   #15
danny n
Not Yet Wild

may look into that, thanks
Old 04-13-2016, 07:41 PM   #16
johnny reb
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

63-66 nice. they are different. the later ones dont have the transmission. note if you need seat covers in a color scheme there is a guy on ebay that did mine they were 111 bucks
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-david...cAAMXQNOZRBuwQ
johnny reb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 04:49 PM   #17
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Man, I have to very respectively disagee about those crank bearings being easy for a do it yourselfer. It takes 6 tons of pressure to get those on and off. Worse, if they don't go on pretty close to perpendicular to the crank they can get misshaped just enough to cause a lot of vibration. I have a decent home shop but I don't have a press. For as often as the bearings need replaced it didn't make sense to get one.

Like you are considering, I took my crank to a machine shop and let them do it. I gave them the case halves, gaskets and crank seals too. For $70 they not only pressed the bearings on / off but they reassembled the whole motor and made sure it was spinning right. When I got the motor back all I had to do was plop it into the cart. That was worth $70 to me. If you go this route make sure they have the appropriate pages from a service manual though. At least in the later years carts there are a couple of beveled horseshoe clips in there that have to be installed a specific way. Not sure about the older carts but it can't hurt for the machine guys to see how these things are constructed.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:21 AM   #18
73eldo
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

I have a press now but I don't think I had it when I did my last cart engine unless that is what I bought it for maybe? I do remember having a specific project in the works when I bought it, just can't remember what it was. I do remember reading about people that did it without one and I'm pretty sure I attempted it. Maybe I failed and bought the press? Lots of new info filling up my limited memory space the last few years so some data has for sure been lost.
73eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 11:12 AM   #19
danny n
Not Yet Wild

yea I don't really want to attempt it with a vise, I will probably leave it alone any way I can't locate the crank bearing and really is not in bad shape it has very little side to side and up and down I just thought maybe since I was this far into it I would change it and 70 buck does not seem bad at all to have it reassembled but I have done several Honda motors (ct70s z50s ct90s and st90s so I am going to go a head and attempt it my self I have the manual to help me through it and hopefully everything will go well,thanks

Tags
customization, harley, harley davidson, harley davidson golf cart, restoration
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson