lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-14-2008, 08:26 PM   #1
Capnraysr
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default steering ?

the steering on my 95 medalist is loose & wobbly going downhill. if hold the steering wheel in place it will go from 1 side of the road to the other. do i need tie rod ends or just new bushings
Capnraysr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-15-2008, 03:01 PM   #2
lakerattx
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: steering ?

I had the same issue with my 91 marathon, yours should be very similar.

What you need to do is get a buddy to move the steering wheel gently back and forth (not enought to turn the wheels but just the range of the excess play) while you look under the front end to see where the excess play is coming from. Most likely its one of the 3 tie rod ends. Could also be the steering box but probably not.

Good luck
lakerattx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:17 PM   #3
buckmanmike
Gone Wild

Why take all the fun out of hauling bisquits. Just kidding. Tighten up that front end and get them brakes a workin.

On my tractor, just greasing it helps a bunch in the front end.
buckmanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:13 PM   #4
Capnraysr
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

would a spindle lift kit solve most of my steering problem.i really like the jakes 3" with10"wheels
Old 06-01-2008, 02:03 AM   #5
1986g3a
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

get a yard stick and do an easy alignment. just make sure you have the same distance across your tires on the front and back sides. make sure you use the same reference points on both tires and both sides and adjust rods accordingly. This is how i do it. Steering box could be goind bad, it happens.
1986g3a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 05:44 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capnraysr View Post
would a spindle lift kit solve most of my steering problem.i really like the jakes 3" with10"wheels
No. A spindle lift kit From Jakes will not fix the worn tie rod ends....Do as lakerattx says and replace the worn tie rod ends. Besure when ordering to get the same R or L hand thread as originals.
Also, Jakes 3" are back ordered all over the place....best to pick something else. You pay the same for a 6" ?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 07:59 AM   #7
Capnraysr
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

many thanks for the assistance. when i get home i'll check the tie rods. wifeypoo can help.she likes getting dirty. i like the 6"kit from jakes too.more choices for wheels & tires too. got 11 more days.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:35 PM   #8
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capnraysr View Post

NO - A lift won't solve problems from a worn steering assembly!!! Your gears could be worn, your tie rod ends could have slop, your steering housing bushings could be shot and / or your steering arm could be worn. All common items when dealing with a 13 year old cart, especially one that wasn't serviced / greased correctly!

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:46 AM   #9
Capnraysr
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

ok ok I get it maintenence is the key. I just bought it 2 or 3 month's ago.when I get home I will start a proper maintenence program for my cart as well as my body. I'm hopeing it just that it need's tightening up. If not I'm gonna order new tie rod ends at the same time as the lift kit.Jakes 6" spindle lift/wheel & tire package
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO