lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-27-2021, 05:30 AM   #1
nitro1
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Club car cables

Have a 87 club car ds electric and the forward/reverse switch cough fire and melted it and the cables my question is can I make my own cables ? If so what kind of wire do u guys recommend…would like to try to buy at a local store if possible
nitro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-27-2021, 06:25 AM   #2
rowlands57
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Club car cables

From all I have read here the cables you need are not regular automotive style cables that you can get at any store. There are many more strands in the cables in a golf cart. In addition, the crimping process is not possible with home style tools.

Basically I think you may be better off getting pre-made cables from good supplier.
rowlands57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 07:12 AM   #3
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

making your own cables is pretty simple . You need to get welding cable (I would get 4 ga instead of the stock 6 ga). I soldered mine on instead of crimping them.

if you are going to do all the cables (which you should) it will take about 29 feet to do a series DS.
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 07:40 AM   #4
nitro1
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Thanks Swan, I’ll check around for welding cable
Old 10-27-2021, 10:31 AM   #5
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

I got #4 welding cable, copper crimp terminals, shrink sleeving, a good quality crimping tool and a cable cutter all for less than $100.00 on Amazon. These well made tools will last forever.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 10:36 AM   #6
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

OOPs!

Last edited by Tom47; 10-27-2021 at 10:37 AM.. Reason: Hit twice
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 11:04 AM   #7
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom47 View Post
I got #4 welding cable, copper crimp terminals, shrink sleeving, a good quality crimping tool and a cable cutter all for less than $100.00 on Amazon. These well made tools will last forever.
Then labor/time involved to make them, Check with ScottyB and price his set premade out of the box....
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 11:10 AM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

You can get a 25 foot spool of 4awg cable at tractor supply. They do have terminals too but they’re quite expensive, the terminals are better to order from online if possible.

I’d also recommend a hydraulic crimper tool. You can get one at northern tool or harbor freight, they’re not too expensive. But necessary. Weak crimps will render new cables worthless. You can solder them also, but I personally prefer crimped connections. Soldering kills flexibility at the joint.

Also, strand count in the wire means nothing for conductivity. High strand count makes for a more flexible wire, which are easier to work with. But Diameter of the wire conductor is where it’s important. Stay away from “budget” car audio amplifier wiring kits. Most of the 4awg kits I’ve seen are more accurately closer to an actual 8awg cable set. You also want to pay attention to the wire insulation material itself. This is more the reason welding cables are preferred, it’s a tougher more chaff resistant material than some of the car audio stuff. Starter cable is great also. They’re made for being in a hot, greasy, oily engine compartment. They’ll hold up fine in a golf cart. Cheap car audio cable for example has a very soft insulation, and meant to run inside vehicles under the carpet. High end car audio cable is good, but very expensive due to the very high strand count (the more flexible it is, the easier it is to route through right corners and stuff in a vehicle).
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 01:15 PM   #9
nitro1
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I had ordered this ? It’s 2awg just because next summer I’m thinking in doing a upgrade so I can make a nice hunting buggy

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B011Z...b_b_prod_image

Will be here tomorrow and I’ll be getting hydraulic crimps at harbor freight
Old 10-27-2021, 03:37 PM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I think that will work just fine
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car