lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-28-2021, 11:23 AM   #21
tennbamaman
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: New G1 Ignition Coil Ground question

The stating is just as you describe above. "You approach the cart, turn the key to FWD, press the pedal, and it starts, as it should"
The only difference is that i am using one hand to push pedal to start it and using other hand to operate carburetor choke and or throttle since i have no cables right now.

When i release the pedal with the one hand the engine continues to run using gas and i can continue adjusting RPMS using choke and throttle to keep it going. The spark does not die.
It helps right now since im working on it, but it was my thought that i would need to put a weight on the pedal to keep the engine running as i thought the engine was supposed to die with pedal released.
tennbamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-28-2021, 05:18 PM   #22
AGELE55
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Ok brother…easy peasy fix I think.
When the pedal is released, the B/W wire is grounded by the pedal switch to kill the spark. Disconnect the B/W wire from the CDI. Ohm check the B/W wire from there to the negative battery post. I’d say you will see nothing, but should see .3 ohms whenever the pedal is released.
When you turn off the key, it kills the magneto, etc. So your problem is between the CDI and the pedal switch. OR… the black wire coming off the pedal switch isn’t grounded properly.

Just to make sure I’m not fooling us both, I jacked my cart and disconnected the B/W from the CDI. It starts great, but keeps running until I plug the B/W wire back in (grounding the CDI), or turn off the ignition switch which will kill the magneto (among other things) and stop the motor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FA622309-9CD2-45C2-88D0-D648909E7316.jpg (164.4 KB, 0 views)
AGELE55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 09:48 AM   #23
tennbamaman
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Thanks, i was not able to work on the buggy yesterday. Hopefully i can work on it some today. I will run the prescribed tests and report back. I also got the new china built carb in yesterday. Choke and throttle cables should be in this week as well. Hopefully i will be able to get it running smooth with all these items. Hard to believe you can get a new carb, fuel line, clamps, and gas filter for 22 bucks, lol.
Old 09-29-2021, 03:15 PM   #24
AGELE55
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Talking Re: New G1 Ignition Coil Ground question

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennbamaman View Post
Thanks, i was not able to work on the buggy yesterday. Hopefully i can work on it some today. I will run the prescribed tests and report back. I also got the new china built carb in yesterday. Choke and throttle cables should be in this week as well. Hopefully i will be able to get it running smooth with all these items. Hard to believe you can get a new carb, fuel line, clamps, and gas filter for 22 bucks, lol.
Love/Hate relationship with China..lol. I bought a carb for mine on line and its been great. Good luck & maybe you'll get a test ride while sitting in the seat this time.
Old 09-29-2021, 03:40 PM   #25
tennbamaman
Getting Wild
Yamaha

agreed on the love / hate. I so wanted to use the original Mikuni Carburetor but its just not running exactly right. It might be that larger jet i put in it since i lost my original one. I thought i cleaned it really good. The guy at the shop give me two sizes so i might try the other one. It is a smaller ID jet.

I cant wait to get the cables on it and try that maiden voyage, lol. I might get the wife to video again but after that last scare i give her, it might be hard enlisting her help. lol
Old 09-30-2021, 01:44 PM   #26
tennbamaman
Getting Wild
Yamaha

going to give an update. I have not done the electrical test yet on the B/W wire but i will.

Installed new China carb and all seems good with it. Need a little more testing as it seems extended higher rpms it may be running out of gas (it does have an electric fuel pump on it)

New choke and throttle cables have arrived but i have not installed yet. If it does not rain, im going to try to get them installed today.

Negative
Now it does not appear the starter generator wants to turn over in reverse. I can jump the blue positive terminal at the solenoid and it turns over. Pretty sure i can figure it out i just have to do some voltage and ohm testing that i previously learned from you brother.
Old 09-30-2021, 05:49 PM   #27
AGELE55
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennbamaman View Post
going to give an update. I have not done the electrical test yet on the B/W wire but i will.

Installed new China carb and all seems good with it. Need a little more testing as it seems extended higher rpms it may be running out of gas (it does have an electric fuel pump on it)

New choke and throttle cables have arrived but i have not installed yet. If it does not rain, im going to try to get them installed today.

Negative
Now it does not appear the starter generator wants to turn over in reverse. I can jump the blue positive terminal at the solenoid and it turns over. Pretty sure i can figure it out i just have to do some voltage and ohm testing that i previously learned from you brother.
Sweet. You’re getting close. And I saw an ad in the paper for a Master electrical troubleshooter. I think you’re ready!
Old 10-01-2021, 01:20 PM   #28
tennbamaman
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Master electrical troubleshooter - ha ha (im not even close lol) I can barely follow directions.
Here is the most recent update. Getting close to that maiden voyage. Cables are attached and it seems like i could do the first ride at any point after i get the starter generator turning over in reverse again. With cables attached i can actually close the hood and use the pedal for throttle now.

B/W wire update. Yesterday i actually forgot to connect it back at the CDI and when i tried to turn the motor off using the key switch it just kep running. I had to choke it to kill the fire the engine. I plugged the B/W wire back up and turned ignition back to forward and restarted the engine using the pedal and then turned the key to neutral and killed the engine promptly. The black and white wire does work to kill fire at magneto with key switch.

Is the engine supposed to die when you release the pedal? Mine just goes to idle

I disconnected the b/w white and when i tested both sides of the B/W wire at the CDI connector using one probe and placing the other probe on the negative battery terminal i got nothing. When i pressed the pedal, i still got nothing.

Placing on probe at the CDI connector end and the other at the pedal end i get 0.3 ohms on that long stretch of wire
Old 10-01-2021, 01:23 PM   #29
tennbamaman
Getting Wild
Yamaha

I want to retest these B/W wires again at the connection and at the negative post but i think i did them as you said. The B/W connector end closest to the CDI box jumps like crazy at first but then goes to a no reading quickly

I will be out of town this weekend so i will not get to work with it. Wife says im Obsessed, lol
Old 10-01-2021, 03:32 PM   #30
AGELE55
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Looks like you may have an open wire black wire between the pedal switch and ground. Yes, the engine should stop with the pedal released. If the B/W wire checks good between the CDI and pedal switch as you say, then check the black wire at the pedal switch to the negative battery cable. Either the black wire is bad or the switch itself is not working to short the B/W & B wires together with pedal release.
Ps..tell your wife, it’s not my fault
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha