lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-03-2016, 06:04 PM   #1
WayneMac
Not Yet Wild

Default How to hook up a 12volt LED light bar on a 48volt cart?

I have a 48 volt Precedent with a 6 8 volt battery sytem. I want to hook up a 12 volt LED light bar on my cart but i am not sure how to do this with 8 volt batteries? Is there possibly a diagram out there some where showing how to do this or should i have asked before purchasing the light if it was possible to do? Thanks in advance for your answers.....
WayneMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-03-2016, 06:13 PM   #2
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: How to hook up a 12volt LED light bar on a 48volt cart?

There are 3 options and many opinions to which is best...

1) Tap any 2 batteries in series together for 16 volts is the no cost version and least recommended as it places unequal draw on two batteries and unequal charging on the entire pack. BUT for low amp draw and occasional use it is fairly common.

2) Purchase and install a 48 to 12 voltage reducer. This will place an equal load across all batteries. This will be the most recommended method.

3) Install a stand alone 12 volt battery to run your stuff but you must charge it separately with its own little charger.
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 06:17 PM   #3
WayneMac
Not Yet Wild

If my cart currently has a light thats the original front light that is on a club car, can i just use those wires and switch? Or is the original headlight on a cart different voltage than 12 volts?
Old 09-03-2016, 06:28 PM   #4
WayneMac
Not Yet Wild

I would not be using this light bar very often so im thinking about the 2 batteries in a series option. But will the 2 batteries (16volts) fry my 12 volt light?
Old 09-03-2016, 06:37 PM   #5
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneMac View Post
I would not be using this light bar very often so im thinking about the 2 batteries in a series option. But will the 2 batteries (16volts) fry my 12 volt light?
Generally no, but you should be able to confirm this by checking the spec on the light whereas it will give an acceptable voltage (example 10 to 20 VDC)
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 08:48 PM   #6
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

Since you have existing lights, check the voltage delivered to those lights. You may have a 16v to 12v reducer already.

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 08:28 AM   #7
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

LED lights usually have a voltage regulator so you may be able to use it on two batteries. Remember that it is more than 16V though when the batteries are fully charged! If it's out of spec for your light bar, get a reducer!
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 08:50 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Keep in mind the CC OEM 12v reducer is actually a 16v > 12v reducer which draws from only 2 batteries and still causes the imbalance that shortens the pack life.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 09:08 AM   #9
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

If you are going to buy a reducer, get a 48V to 12V one!
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 07:39 AM   #10
passthru
Gone Wild

Club Car

My Rigid lights are rated for use from 9v to 36v. I personally went with the separate battery option. We run quite a few miles on the hunt at night and I didn't want any extra draw on my pack. It's worked out well a few times for other needs as well such as running a 12v compressor to pump up flats and a 12v spotlight.
passthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car