lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-07-2021, 04:09 PM   #381
Jim Rat
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: OBC Bypassing

Opps
Jim Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-07-2021, 04:16 PM   #382
Jim Rat
Not Yet Wild

DaveMJ:

Typed to soon. Found the reply you were referring to.

So the extra circuit wire from the receptacle to the negative terminal (without disconnecting the neg line to the OBC) will not let the new charger work while still allowing the OBC to function, such as providing the negative for the solenoid (yellow wire)?

I appreciate you sharing your knowledge here.
Jim Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 04:18 PM   #383
snoop911
Gone Wild

Club Car

please help
anyone

I'm lost with the extra wires

[quote=snoop911;1853498]
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoop911
I know you removed your OBC but when you removed the BMS what did you do with these wires

2012 Club Car Precedent

I need help with a few wires that I don't know what to do with
I am installing an extreme team lithium set up with an onboard charger (120 volts)

Pic 1. When I remove the BMS what do I do with this black bullet connector ?
Pic 2. What is the blue pigtail for ?
Pic 3. What is the red to pink connectors for ?
Pic 4. What is the white 4 prong plug for ?
Pic 5. When I remove the BMS do I plug this back in after I cut it

any help will do I am almost their I just need to clean up some wires and I am completely removing my BMS since the pack has on Extreme Team pack has one built in

thank you
snoop911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 06:40 AM   #384
refurb02CCDSIQ
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Newb here to the forum and golf carts and I just wanted to jump on and thank Sergio, TahoeDawg, and others for their knowledge of carts. After researching and reading numerous post I was able to remove and bypass my OBC for my new Summit II charger I mounted on-board. I also made my own 6 pin OBC bypass connector kit using the info I learned from them and purchased a 4ga battery cable from the local auto parts house to replace the cable that passes through the OBC from pack- to controller B-.

Thanks to all the guys who come on here daily to help out all us new to vet enthusiast!
refurb02CCDSIQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 01:14 AM   #385
refurb02CCDSIQ
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Ok guys…need some help here! 2002 DS IQ. I mounted my Summit II on board with ring connectors to battery pack and tied the blue and white wires on obc side of 6 pin connector together and added a 10k ohm 1 watt resistor onto the white wire side between 6 pin connector and slice with blue wire. I then tied the lockout blue wire from Summit II into the blue and white wire splice so cart won’t move when charging. Everything works great while charging and cart won’t run when charging. But when I try to drive cart it shutters when trying to accelerate. If I unhook the blue lockout wire from charger from blue and white wire splice cart runs fine.

Do I not need the resistor while charging for lockout? Will it still lockout cart if resistor is removed while charging? I’d prefer to have the lockout feature since I have a young child who might come out and mess with the cart while it’s charging.
refurb02CCDSIQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 05:22 PM   #386
desertratiw
Not Yet Wild

Sergio and or others -

I have a 1999 custom body built on 1996 frame DS series. For 2nd or 3rd time now, batteries got very discharged, and OBC won't kick in. I have jumpered the PowerDrive charger internal wires like before and can feel energy in and out of the charger when AC powered. Initially shows 0 amps, but when I plug in to the cart, it jumps to 1.5 or so amps. Have left it plugged in to cart for about 1/2 hour, and am seeing increase in amps now to about 3 amps.

Before start of this charge cycle, 4 of 8v batteries are at 3.0 - 3.5 V after individual charge up, 2 of 8v are at 1.5 volts.

Have cleaned all corrosion off batteries and installed all new 4g cables.
Your thoughts on the following or any other comments welcome:

1 - if charger may have problem (relay?) - The fuse at the back of the cart receptacle tests to have continuity, and other fuses are good.

2 - are batteries likely to come back or history?

3 - Possible damage to leave charger running to see if amps continue to increase?

Thanks in advance for you thoughts.

Last edited by desertratiw; 11-02-2021 at 05:24 PM.. Reason: correction
desertratiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 07:46 AM   #387
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

I read through this whole thread and still had a question. Im new to Precedents and there is nothing wrong with my OBC but I am switching to Lithium and using my own charger so I now need to bypass also.

Why cant I just run the two wires from the charger port to the + & - of the pack? Why do I need to go through all this rewiring of the harness wires? Does the OBC control more than just charging?
UncleJerm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 08:25 AM   #388
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Yes - the OBC controls more than just charging. It can keep the cart from running. Part of the bypass is to disable the OBC completely so that it can't stop the cart from running.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 04:44 PM   #389
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

If the OBC doesn’t “see” periodic charging cycles, as will occur if you connect your charger directly to the battery, it will assume that charging isn’t occurring and shut down the cart to protect the batteries from being over discharged.

Cheers
Pat.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 06:00 PM   #390
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: OBC Bypass ~ Technnical Tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
The OBC is great for dealers. For an individual owner, it's worthless. It logs charge data and battery information that the dealer can retrieve with a Communication Display Module (CDM). There is an infrared sensor in the little orange battery light on the dash. Hold the CDM close to the sensor and it will tell you why the last charge cycle terminated. For instance, whether the charge was complete, Max Timer, DVDT (back-up charge mode used for worn out batteries), or an interrupted charge. It also keeps up with Energy Units. Energy units is a form of measurement to determine how much power has been removed from the battery pack. The OBC keeps track of energy unit removed per charge cycle, along with total energy units removed for the life of the vehicle. That's how Club Car determines vehicle usage for warranty purposes. Batteries are warranted for 4 years, or 20,000 energy units, whichever comes first. As much as people bash the OBC, it truly has a purpose in a golf course application where you're charging 65 cars, sometimes on different chargers every day. The OBC will track one specific vehicle and log data from that vehicle only. I have no idea how other golf car manufacturers can monitor such data unless they install an hour meter of some sort, which I've very rarely seen. It's definitely not standard material. It's amazing to see how poorly certain golf courses rotate their fleet. One local golf course in particular I can remember, the cars closest to the door had worn out batteries within 2 years. The cars deep down in the cart barn far from the door had half the usage and still worked fine. Without an OBC, or an equivalent method for monitoring such things, nobody would have ever known this. Certain vehicles were not eligible for warranty for this very reason, which saved Club Car a lot of money. I saw cars as high as 27,000 energy units, down to 12,000 all from the same fleet.
This is amazing information I had no idea about
UncleJerm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car