lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-31-2013, 09:23 AM   #1
abieex
Gone Loco

Yamaha

Default PlastiDip

Has anyone had any experience with this stuff on a cart body? I like the idea of being able to change up the color if I want and in terms of base/clear its fairly inexpensive. Anyone have input?
abieex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:36 AM   #2
Tonka329
Smoov az a gravy sammich

Yamaha

Default Re: PlastiDip

Durabak or Monstaliner! They have different colors.
Tonka329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:17 AM   #3
madscientistmike
Not Yet Wild

im currently painting my carts body with plastidip blaze orange... Its pretty easy so far I just laid down a couple of coats of white and tonight I will apply the orange. It is pretty forgiving stuff, I had a pretty large drip during my first attempt and had only used about 1 can ($5) so I just peeled it off and started over! It was pretty easy to peel and the finish underneath it was fine.

Have you been on the dipyourcar.com forum? They have some pretty impressive examples of cars, bikes, atvs, and other stuff that has been dipped.
madscientistmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:20 PM   #4
madscientistmike
Not Yet Wild

madscientistmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:38 PM   #5
jay_in_cgohio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I really like that. So much in fact it has me re-thinking my monstaliner paint. Also has me kicking myself for tossing my wagner power sprayer last year. From what I am seeing it is the gun of choice for spraying this stuff on.
jay_in_cgohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 01:15 PM   #6
soutexbuggie
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientistmike View Post
im currently painting my carts body with plastidip blaze orange... Its pretty easy so far I just laid down a couple of coats of white and tonight I will apply the orange. It is pretty forgiving stuff, I had a pretty large drip during my first attempt and had only used about 1 can ($5) so I just peeled it off and started over! It was pretty easy to peel and the finish underneath it was fine.

Have you been on the dipyourcar.com forum? They have some pretty impressive examples of cars, bikes, atvs, and other stuff that has been dipped.

So you're telling me that one can of Plasti Dip will cover a whole golf cart body.
soutexbuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:32 AM   #7
xobon
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Been a long time since I posted, but thought I would give an update to the Plastidip thread. My whole cart is plasti dipped. It is still holding up extremely well. it has yet to peel off, and still looks good when cleaned up. The body took me about 5 cans to get a good covering, and I think I used about 3 cans on the top.

I would say all and all if you do the prep work right, and take your time, you can get some really good results with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1977055_655182107851763_1584132153_n.jpg (249.1 KB, 0 views)
xobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 11:02 AM   #8
shmo
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I've done a fair bit of plasti dipping, and the stuff is really quite amazing. It's not paint, and it won't last a lifetime, but it is very easily applied and removed. If it is not abused, it can easily last for a few years.

I know there has been a lot of talk about prepping. Unless you have surface irregularities, like deep scratches or flaking paint, sanding is completely unnecessary. If your paint (or whatever surface you are covering) is in even remotely decent shape, just clean it well and spray. It's super forgiving. You can use it on paint, plastic, even chrome. Just make sure the surface is clean and free of waxes and oils. I use rubbing alcohol and a lint free cloth, and that's about the extent of my prepping, and I get very high end looking results.

I also want to note, that masking isn't always necessary. That is one of the most unbelievable aspects of the product. For instance, when blacking out emblems or mouldings, I will simply mask off an area a few inches away from the item I want to cover, then afterwards, peal away the areas that I don't want plast dipped. The edges peal away cleanly, leaving an impression of something that has been precisely masked off.

Here is an example

shmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 11:38 AM   #9
shmo
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Plasti dip does scuff and scratch, and it is nowhere near as resilient as paint. It is however, more durable than you might think. I have had it on my Tahoe, for going on two years. It is just now starting to show a couple tiny chips (which will be easily repaired).

There is a product called dip coat, available from dipyourcar.com It is essentially a protectant for plastdip, like wax would be for paint, essentially. It drastically helps with scuff and scratch resistance.

Here is my Tahoe. On this one, I coated the emblems (hard to see in pic), rear view mirrors and the grill. All of the items were previously chrome. I also dipped my exhaust, where it is visible, and it has held up incredibly well

shmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:42 PM   #10
Tonka329
Smoov az a gravy sammich

Yamaha

I may go this route on my kids cart... Where is a good place to buy PlastiDip?
Tonka329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint