lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-24-2021, 12:41 PM   #1
SHIMHEAD
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Battery meter options for RoyPow 51V105AH pack??

I just recently installed a RoyPow 51V105AH pack in my dad's Precedent. I was wondering if there are any battery meter options that would connect directly to the pack where the original meter attaches. If not, are there any other good options? Also, is a Lester Summit II charger compatible with that pack, and if so what charge profile needs to be used?
SHIMHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-24-2021, 03:58 PM   #2
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: Battery meter options for RoyPow 51V105AH pack??

When I bought mine, it came with charger and digital battery meter....his didn't?
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 04:23 PM   #3
SHIMHEAD
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Yes, STOCK battery meter that came with the pack. Yes, Lester Summit II charger. I was assured that the charger had a lithium profile loaded. I was hoping there was a battery gauge that communicated with the pack Battery Management System via the provided jack on the pack to give me more info on the battery. Also hoping to confirm the proper charge profile with the Lester "Charger Connect" app on my phone. I have not connected to the charger yet to see what profile is loaded, wanted to know what the profile should be in advance.
Old 03-25-2021, 08:29 AM   #4
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Strange, they furnished me with Roypow charger.
Old 03-25-2021, 08:58 AM   #5
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHIMHEAD View Post
Yes, STOCK battery meter that came with the pack. Yes, Lester Summit II charger. I was assured that the charger had a lithium profile loaded. I was hoping there was a battery gauge that communicated with the pack Battery Management System via the provided jack on the pack to give me more info on the battery. Also hoping to confirm the proper charge profile with the Lester "Charger Connect" app on my phone. I have not connected to the charger yet to see what profile is loaded, wanted to know what the profile should be in advance.
Roypow includes a meter with the pack, and it does communicate with the BMS in the battery, and plugs into the pack via a RS485 port connection. If your "meter" does not plug into the pack with a multi-pin connector (i.e. not a voltage meter that connects to the "+" and "-" terminals), you don't have the correct meter. The one they supply is a "coulomb counter" type, and is very accurate. It is not a time-weighted volt meter like the common golf cart "battery meters". When you say "stock" meter, I assume you mean the one that came with the cart? It won't work. The "Stock" meter that RoyPow supplies is the one you want.

As far as the charger, I'm not familiar with the Lester charger other than they've been around quite a while and are generally used for FLA type batteries. Maybe some of them are programmable, not sure. RoyPow supplies the correct charger (and it is not a Lester), but if you didn't get one somehow, you need to make sure the profile that whatever charger you use has is specifically intended for a 16S LifePo4 battery pack. A charger used for FLA batteries is not the correct charger, regardless of what someone may have told you. It is possible that it will "work" to add charge to a depleted battery, but it won't charge it as it was intended. IIRC, some of those FLA chargers take voltage up to 58-60v or so in the periodic "boil" stage intended to stir up the electrolyte, and that will not go over well with your expensive 16s LifePo4 chemistry battery and associated BMS which does not need or want to see 60v.
fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 12:56 PM   #6
SHIMHEAD
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Yes the battery meter is the included RoyPow unit, and I do feel it is likely a good meter. I just am wondering if there is any alternative that gives much more information such as individual cell voltages and temps, etc. The Lester charger I was given with the pack purchase. I was advised that it had the correct Lithium charge profile loaded. I should be able to connect to it with the app tonight and try to verify that. I was hoping that someone could supply the details of that profile for me to confirm. I did google it and found some information about that, but do not have it in front of me right now.
Old 03-25-2021, 12:59 PM   #7
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Since charger didn't come from Roypow, I would consult with them directly to make certain it's settings are correct. Still wonder why yours didn't come with the Roypow supplied charger?
Old 03-25-2021, 02:20 PM   #8
WC53
Getting Wild
Club Car

Lester does have a lithium profile, 22226?
I think it charges to 3.5 a cell 56v at 13.5 amps
WC53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 02:22 PM   #9
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHIMHEAD View Post
Yes the battery meter is the included RoyPow unit, and I do feel it is likely a good meter. I just am wondering if there is any alternative that gives much more information such as individual cell voltages and temps, etc. The Lester charger I was given with the pack purchase. I was advised that it had the correct Lithium charge profile loaded. I should be able to connect to it with the app tonight and try to verify that. I was hoping that someone could supply the details of that profile for me to confirm. I did google it and found some information about that, but do not have it in front of me right now.
To my knowledge the communication between meter and BMS is proprietary (though it goes through an rs485 port), and you would likely need to wait for them to potentially offer another meter that has the ability to read out cell voltages etc... They may possibly have such a tool that they use themselves (assuming individual cell voltages are even accessible via that port), but AFAIK there is nothing available to end users.
fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 04:23 PM   #10
SHIMHEAD
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I found the instructions for changing/checking the charge profile on the Lester website under technical bulletins. Profile 22226 for 51.3 volt lithium applications. I will post back what I find once I check/change it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium