lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-26-2007, 10:29 AM   #1
iamnatman
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Problems during test drive

I decided to take my cart up to my Mamaw's property so I could really try it out with the torque kit. The first five or ten minutes were ok, but then it started to make an odd grinding noise from the secondary sheave. I got stuck in the mud at the bottom of the hill and tried to back out of it. Problem was, it wouldn't back out, or move at all. The wheels weren't spinning but the engine was definitely running. The grinding noise got louder and I got off the cart to see what it was. Turns out the sheave was spinning freely on the trans. shaft, my only thought was that the woodruff key broke or had somehow fallen off. So, with the cart broken and inoperable because it was dark by now, I had to walk all the way back. A little later, my parents got the trailer for the cart and we went to pick it up in the field. BUT, it just so happen that the car got stuck in the very same mud that I had gotten stuck in. And we've got 4 wheel drive.
To top it all off, the front shock extenders on the lift kit had bent while I was driving. Any thoughts on why this happened and ways to repair this easily? I followed the directions to the letter and double checked to be sure of myself.
iamnatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-26-2007, 11:01 AM   #2
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Definitely sounds like the outer sheave wasn't installed all the way or something and it either broke or slid off the half moon key. Get me pic's after you tear it down and I'll see what your going to need. You may have to replace the outer sheave.

I have been hearing about these front shock extenders bending on the econo lifts. Get me a pic of this for sure. I want to see what exactly is happening. I have an idea but not sure. I'm thinking the frame on the cart where the whole is drilled and bolt installed is giving way. I didn't like this design and modded mine a long time ago when I installed this lift on my G16. I also modded the one on my G2. I'll try to get you pic's nat so you can do what I did. It is very simple and inexpensive. I added two quare type u-bolts just under where the installation bolt goes on the extenders to help support it on the frame. I also installed a piece of L channel on the inside part of the frame to help support it.
spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 06:11 PM   #3
iamnatman
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

We're gonna try to get the cart tonight. It's been out there for three days now and Hopefully the mud has dried by now.

I'll bring our camera tonight and upload the pics tommorow.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:12 PM   #4
iamnatman
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

OK, here are the pics:

RIGHT SIDE

LEFT SIDE

You can see how bad the mud was. ^^^^

It looks like the bolt on the left shock extender is about to pull through the hole.

Old 03-01-2007, 02:24 PM   #5
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

OMG!! That shock mount should have another hole in the lower section where it is bent out. You need to bent that back with a vice or something, drill the other hole, and remount it using both mount holes (top, which is adjustable position, and bottom, that locks it in place).
spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha