lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > General Discussion > Side x Sides/ATVs/Quads/Bikes/Jeeps/4x4's!
Side x Sides/ATVs/Quads/Bikes/Jeeps/4x4's! Side x Sides, ATVs, Quads, Bikes, Jeeps, 4x4, and everything else.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-02-2020, 06:09 PM   #11
kbeitz
Getting Wild

Default Re: Building tractors from golf cart parts...

Almost done...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring 2 small.jpg (303.5 KB, 0 views)
kbeitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-02-2020, 06:11 PM   #12
kbeitz
Getting Wild

Working great...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fire wood load.JPG (345.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-02-2020, 06:30 PM   #13
kbeitz
Getting Wild

This was my first build. No controller. Being a hydro I did not think I needed one.
Not knowing what I was doing I have gathered up another tractor and parts to build
project number two. I did not know at the time of my first build that running the motor full tilt would use high amps. I have been an electrician all my life and all the motors I worked around only used high amps only if put under a load. Also using a hydro tractor was probably not the best choice because they take more power than a standard. So my next build will be a standard tractor with a controller. I'm hoping to get a lot of help from this group with my next build. I'm just now learning about controllers and all the different pedals that go with. I'm going to use a forklift motor for my next build because it's next to impossible to find a golf cart motor with an extended shaft. Most have internal splines and no bearing motor mount.
Old 11-02-2020, 07:54 PM   #14
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

Very cool! The batteries are monsters, but how do they hold up as deep cycle? How long can you use the tractor before it dies?
Wakko47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 08:03 PM   #15
kbeitz
Getting Wild

I was using everyday to move fire wood from my saw mill to my home about 1/4 mile away. I charge the batteries every week... Good? Bad? I have no idea.
Old 11-03-2020, 01:35 AM   #16
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeitz View Post
I was using everyday to move fire wood from my saw mill to my home about 1/4 mile away. I charge the batteries every week... Good? Bad? I have no idea.
Great build ... thanks for sharing.

For the maximum life of your batteries, you should avoid deep discharges and avoid storing your batteries in a partially discharged state. Lead acid batteries do NOT have a memory, so frequent charging will not harm them.

Most of us lead acid battery users have learned (some the hard way) that it is best to charge you batteries after each use to get maximum life from your battery pack. It is better to charge your batteries every day (even it you only discharge them 10%) as it will result in a much longer battery life.

See the attached Battery Life plot for more information. For example, with a 10% depth of discharge you would get an estimated 7000 cycles out of a battery (if charged daily, this would be 19.2 years of life). If you discharged to a 70% depth of discharge, you would get only an estimated 780 cycles out of the same battery pack. If you did this daily, that would be only 2.1 years of life.

The problem with using your cart daily for a week and then charging is that when your batteries sit in a partially discharged state for an extended time, they form sulfate deposits on the lead plates which can be difficult (in some cases impossible) to remove. Following a daily charging practice (after use) will prevent the permanent sulfation that kills many lead acid batteries.

Also see the attached State of Charge chart that you can use to determine the battery state of charge based on the static voltage of your battery. This may not be totally accurate for your type of batteries but should be close. You might want to try to locate a specific State of Charge chart for your brand of AGM batteries.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carts Unlimited State of Charge Chart.JPG (71.0 KB, 0 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf US Battery - expected life cycles.pdf (68.6 KB, 0 views)
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 07:55 AM   #17
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

great build !
Swan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 08:37 AM   #18
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Cool!
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 11:15 AM   #19
Rodger's Rides
Totally Bonkers!

Mixed Breed

Kool beans! Never thought of building an electric garden tractor.
Rodger's Rides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 03:58 PM   #20
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

That is pretty neat. I’ve always wanted an electric riding mower- this gives me some ideas... how fast does it go?
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric tractors
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > General Discussion > Side x Sides/ATVs/Quads/Bikes/Jeeps/4x4's!