lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-02-2018, 03:16 AM   #1
Vital Enterprise
Not Yet Wild

Default Warm climates, onboard charger & PD batteries

I'm slowly building a picture of difficulties faced in Thailand for Club Car owners & am trying to formulate & maintenance solution & extend battery life.

1. Please, any info that you're willing to put forward could help to reduce the carbon footprint of golfing in Thailand & could secure my first client!

Has anyone using a Club Car in a warm climate or during the summer season, checked the SG of their Club Car provided batteries (PD Plus) after charge completion?

If so, what kind of SG readings range do you get please?

2. Did your dealer inform you of the SG level of electrolyte added to your new batteries please?

I'm presently running some trials with some NEW/2017/2016 PD batteries.

Once I've put all the pieces together, I'll be sure to pass the info onto you you guys here.

Cheers.
Vital Enterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-02-2018, 08:09 AM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Warm climates, onboard charger & PD batteries

The local battery supplier should adjust the specific gravity for your region's climate.

It should be lower for tropical climates.

Here is some information you can read through, you can search for the word "tropical" to jump to the specific gravity recommendation for tropical climates.
https://www.powerstream.com/1922/bat.../chapter12.htm
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 08:42 PM   #3
Vital Enterprise
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Sergio, an informative article.

I'm more concerned with the cart's on-board charger's ability to get the batteries fully charged, ie. The SG's back to their maximum.

Obviously a voltage of 8.5 per battery means little if SG's are not same or close to rating of initial electrolyte specification.

I'm concerned that perhaps these on-board chargers might not be able to charge batteries to this extent.

Have you cross-checked your SG's after charge pls?
Old 11-03-2018, 07:43 AM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Sorry but I never had a reason to check the SG on my batteries, and You would need data from someone in the same climate environment to be useful.

The Delta-Q IC650 derivative onBoard charger used by club car (ERIC) has the ability to perform charger temperature compensation, using an external thermistor or charger core temperature.

The issue is that the OEM charging profile installed is not documented by ClubCab, so only the Regional Club Car distributor (not a dealer) would be able to tell you if the profile has been tailored to the climate.

Typically You would lower the bulk voltage for higher temperature, so if the battery target specification is 2.45VPC @ 25°C (77°F), You would use 2.35VPC @ 40°C (104°F).

If You are trying to convince Your client that the batteries are not being properly charged, You will likely need some empirical data since the local dealers may not be following guidelines set by the Club Car engineers.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 09:34 AM   #5
Vital Enterprise
Not Yet Wild

Thanks again Sergio.

I'm trying to build that data as we speak.

Battery OEM's talk about subtracting voltage as temperature increases.

The thing is, a greater current is required to hold a voltage as temperature increases - some of the charge energy is lost through heat.

A voltage of 2.35 is not going to get the capacity out of your battery. Sure, open V will read 8.5V but the battery won't be storing enough charge & for sure, your SG's will be low. 1.24 to 1.255 for example, range will be reduced & sulphation promoted.

I will certainly look into the add-on temp compensator, this is very interesting. Charging without temp input or adjusted off-set in hotter or colder climates is clearly going to effect your charge performance.

Using my Energic Plus charger at 62.4V, as the morning/electrolyte heat climbs from 35 to 40, current might increase from 5 to 8A to hold voltage - this is at absorption/equalisation stage of charge.

Thanks again mate.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:36 AM   #6
Vital Enterprise
Not Yet Wild

Well I'm suprised to learn that The PD batteries are activated with Electrolyte in the US, before shipping all the way to Thailand!!!

Hardly a good start for the life of these cells!
Old 11-07-2018, 06:51 AM   #7
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Actually Mexico I believe. Johnson controls/ interstate batteries.

Club Car DS driver’s club #59
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:00 PM   #8
Vital Enterprise
Not Yet Wild

You mean you believe Electrolytes are added in Mexico?

The batteries certainly pass through the U.S, as they're shipped out with the carts. I was told Electrolytes are added in U.S but I cant confirm this, nor does it make much sense.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car