lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-14-2018, 10:40 PM   #1
USNBIP
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Alltrax XCT up in Smoke

Frustrating night. Working on the rebuild of my EZGO DCS cart. Hooked up the new Alltrax XCT and solenoid and wanted to make sure everything worked as should on normal 36 volt batteries. Wired up and had nothing. This cart is new to me and I havent seen it move yet so I figured I might as well check the motor actually works. Wired it up and stuck power to it and you guessed it, smoke came out the controller. I had it disconnected from battery pack but not motor from controller. Bonehead move.

So, is there anyway I can tell if its fried or is it now a $500 paperweight? Thanks for any help you can give.
USNBIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-15-2018, 01:50 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Alltrax XCT up in Smoke

If smoke came out, it's a stinky, blue paperweight for sure. Which part in there do you imagine can stand to let smoke out of it and still keep working?

Hey, look at it this way: as far as I know, you are the first person on the forum to find a way to actually let the smoke out of a XCT.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:40 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I have some good news.
The XCT has reverse polarity protection for the input like when it is hooked up wrong and for the output like when the motor is shorted out.
Contact Alltrax and tell them that the controller SMOKED upon start up and I think they will recall and replace it.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:43 PM   #4
USNBIP
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I have some good news.
The XCT has reverse polarity protection for the input like when it is hooked up wrong and for the output like when the motor is shorted out.
Contact Alltrax and tell them that the controller SMOKED upon start up and I think they will recall and replace it.
Thanks!! Thats what I was looking for. Spoke with them and they are taking it back for warranty. Thanks again.
USNBIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:39 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Alltrax has the best controller on the market. And they have the best replacement warranty too
Old 07-18-2018, 08:06 AM   #6
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Basically what you did is kinda what happens when you push a car that's not in TOW. Don't feel too bad everyone's done it (including me)

We sadly haven't had the same luck with Alltrax as you guys have though, and stopped carrying them unless customer demands it (one has a super lifted DCS car that kept popping rebuilt/stock controllers because he off-roads the heck out of it, so the XCT (has the fan right?) was the only one that would work in his situation.

Between failures, which seem more common at times (mainly the NPX series) We simply grew tired of having to hack the harnesses and such, as they're NOT quite plug and play most of the time. We just get higher amp stock controllers from FSIP now.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:42 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I understand the NPX control is a stock replacement not for off road or rear seats or big tires. If the control is mismatched it will fail... any brand. We don't carry these NPX controls simply because they don't fit our customer's use.
As for hacking up the wiring?
I'm curious which cart you are talking about there.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:29 PM   #8
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

To convert his DCS (which used a stock Curtis) it took a hack job to convert to the XCT as it's not the same plug in and all. Let's say i had to make my own Create-A-Harness (patent pending) Also was no fun drilling holes to make it fit the mounting plate and then having no way to use the old controller cover on it so it's exposed. No issues though so far.

Depends on the car but some NPX controls have a sort of series setup where it's like a Marathon Curtis where there's three blade pins (throttle 1, 2, key input) but the stock harness on most TXT series cars has a special six blade connector instead forcing cutting wires and adding new terminals to work with the Alltrax. They're not all this way but most are.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:25 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The XCT000DCS controller is a plug and play replacement for DCS.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:37 AM   #10
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The DCX was specifically designed as a "drop in replacement" for those carts. No sepex Ezgo I have ever seen had spade connectors pins 1, 2, 3, and possibly 4 for 1/2 speed reverse. That's "series cart" stuff. Sounds like some real mongrels are floating around in your area. While it is true that the stock black cover won't fit over the DCX, that's the price to pay for more power, flexibility, and lower price than a crummy stock controller.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO