lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-24-2008, 10:23 PM   #1
Random Acts
Not Yet Wild

Default Taylor Dunn controler rebuild

I have this controler I would like to send out to be rebuilt. The golf cart I am told is a 1950 vintage Taylor Dunn. Any recomindations?
P1010047.jpg P1010049.jpg P1010051.jpg P1010053.jpg P1010057.jpg
Random Acts is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-24-2008, 10:29 PM   #2
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Default Re: Taylor Dunn controler rebuild

Are you wanting to restore the cart or "just get it running"? Thats pretty sweet. I like working on vintage iron like that. Its all mechanical, you could gather components and maybe rebuild it yourself. I will all be custom work. I can pretty much guarantee no ones rebuilds those.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 10:44 PM   #3
Random Acts
Not Yet Wild

I would just like to get it running. I figured I could try and locate the parts and replace stuff until it works, but if someone out there rebuilds them that would be terrific. The other option would be to go with some solid state upgrades, but I would need some guidence on what to change with what. My wife really likes this cart and so I am tasked with getting it running and reliable.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:55 PM   #4
roady89
nimda
Club Car

I think you may be better of finding an electronic speed control. If you keep it under a 300 amp controller the cost should be within reason and close to the repair cost of the stock control. You could get a Kelly controller and a PB-6 throttle pot and in the process gain some reliability.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 06:05 PM   #5
ogre'sdad
Getting Wild
Taylor-Dunn

Talking Re: Taylor Dunn controler rebuild

As everyone is saying, restoration or upgrade. Personally I kind of go for the old school stuff 'cause thats all I know. That controller looks like the old electric trolley "across the line" controllers. That tube looking thing is either a relay or a timing resistor between 1st and 2nd speed to keep current down in second speed. Apparently is ain't working but, a welding shop should be able to repair the brass contact surface as well as making a "finger" for the relay contact. If you decide on restoration I'd be glad to give it a try but... don't expect too much as it is OLD technology. Randy
ogre'sdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:25 PM   #6
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

The replies have been excellant. If you want to run the car for a long time..I'd go with Roady's controller/pot box upgrade...If "old school" is what you want...go with "Randy's" help. I've been doing this a long time and I never new :TD" had a delay tube system......You learn something new everday! Good luck on your project and pictures of the car would be cool. Dave
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:28 PM   #7
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Acts View Post
I have this controler I would like to send out to be rebuilt. The golf cart I am told is a 1950 vintage Taylor Dunn. Any recomindations?
Attachment 4926 Attachment 4927 Attachment 4928 Attachment 4929 Attachment 4932
Roady/Randy..are those the same "silver" contacts that where used on TD forward/reverse switches ?
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:30 PM   #8
Random Acts
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
The replies have been excellant. If you want to run the car for a long time..I'd go with Roady's controller/pot box upgrade...If "old school" is what you want...go with "Randy's" help. I've been doing this a long time and I never new :TD" had a delay tube system......You learn something new everday! Good luck on your project and pictures of the car would be cool. Dave
Side.jpg

Old 08-27-2008, 09:18 AM   #9
ogre'sdad
Getting Wild
Taylor-Dunn

Smile Re: Taylor Dunn controler rebuild

Not exactly sure, they appear to be some sor of rivet but, I suppose you could replace them with TD contact points as long as you give them a smooth leading edge so the can operat without pulling a huge spark. Grab a cup of coffee ( or whatever) and just look at the controller to see what you can use to replace the broken parts then go to your favorite hardware store )with the controller) and see what you can find that come close. Just about any port in a storm plus it doesn't cost an arm and whatever other part of your body. Randy
ogre'sdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 10:25 PM   #10
Random Acts
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by roady89 View Post
I think you may be better of finding an electronic speed control. If you keep it under a 300 amp controller the cost should be within reason and close to the repair cost of the stock control. You could get a Kelly controller and a PB-6 throttle pot and in the process gain some reliability.
Alright Where can I get the Kelly Controler and PB-6 throttle pot? Once I get them is it fairly easy to convert over? I know it won't be plug and play but will I be measuring ohms and soldering wires, or will I be taking the positive wire from the batteries and hooking it up to (A) and the wire from the motor and hooking up to (B) kind of thing.

Thanks for you help everyone
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts