lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-14-2019, 08:17 PM   #1
RayB1
Not Yet Wild

Question Headlight Issue

Hello, I have an electric 2014 TXT. I recently had to replace the factory headlight bulbs and decided to replace them with some bright LED bulbs. They really light up the path ahead. However, since installing the LED bulbs I have noticed that when I step on the brakes the rear lights come on as expected but the headlights also come on as long as the brake pedal is pushed.

Is there an issue with installing LED lights in the factory housing with the original harness? I would not expect to have to flip either or both of the wiring connectors but I am willing to try.

I appreciate any input you have!

Thanks!
RayB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-15-2019, 08:09 PM   #2
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Headlight Issue

LED replacement bulbs should cause no problems “if” led bulb is exact replacement.
Aside from that guessing maybe you had problem all along but did’nt notice till putting new/brighter lights in.

Put old bulbs back in to see if problem still exist.
If so wiring is wrong. If not bulbs are wrong.
This advice if you only replaced bulbs,not socket,fixture, ect.

. Do you have copy of manual that can be found on sticky page off this site showing 12 volt lighting circuits?😊
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 09:33 AM   #3
RayB1
Not Yet Wild

Hi Cobra,

I believe you are correct that the problem has been there all along and because the regular bulbs were dim I didn't see it. I have a copy of the electrical diagram and believe that the problem might be caused by an extra connection at one or both of the tail lights. Looking at the diagram it shows a taillight and turn signal but no brake light (the brown wire comes from the brake switch but does not show as connected. I am guessing that someone connected the brown wire to the taillight and should have connected it to the turn signal. I will have to investigate.

Thanks for your input!
RayB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 09:54 AM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

That is a pretty common problem with LED taillights that share the same internal circuit for the different intensity lights (marker/brake).

The solution is to install a small 1 amp or more diode, 1N4004 or 1N4007 type in each of the taillights wires near the taillight.

Find whichever taillight wire has +12v then the headlights are ON (marker lights), cut that wire near the taillight and install the diode inline with the wire.

The diode cathode (side with a stripe/band) goes toward the taillight.

That will allow you to send power on that wire to the taillight marker light but prevent it from back-feeding power into the system when only the brake lights are ON.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO