lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-28-2009, 09:01 PM   #1
big lar
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Smile Voltage reducer wont work

First of all let me say HI to all. This is my first post.

I installed a 16V to 12V reducer and its not working, on a Club Car. I put the hot leed to the + on battery #2 like the instructions said. I get no power coming out of the reducer. I grounded the lights to the - on battery #1. My lights work if hooked directly to the batteries. To test the reducer, I used my test light, which worked at the plus wire hooked to the battery. But nothing coming out of the 12V end of the reducer. Could it be a bad reducer or have I hooked it up wrong????

Could someone help me out here?

Thanks
big lar

Last edited by big lar; 02-28-2009 at 09:03 PM.. Reason: add
big lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-28-2009, 09:04 PM   #2
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Default Re: Voltage reducer wont work

If you hooked it up according to the instruction the reducer is most likely bad.

Where did you hook the negative input of the reducer?
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:11 PM   #3
big lar
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

There was no negitive leed. Only the positive leed to the battery and the 12V lead coming out. I read nothing about a negitive wire.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:19 PM   #4
big lar
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

The reducer is bolted to the aluminum frame. Does it have to be grounded to a battery? What do they mean, a heat sink? Are they talking about the two studs attached to the reducer. Must there be a space between the reducer and the frame, because of heat.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:23 PM   #5
roady89
nimda
Club Car

I don't have any idea WHAT reducer you have so.....who knows. NEVER GROUND ANY electrical device through the frame on an electric cart. Always ground to the negative battery terminal. You could possibly fry other electrical components such as your speed controller. A heat sink is used to draw heat away from the device. You can't put an air gap between the device and the frame because it will not transfer heat away.....if they say to mount it to a heat sink you need to mount it flat on a peice of aluminum such as the frame or other flat surface.

Connect the negative input correctly and it might just work. If the reducer's negative input is through the body of the reducer you are going to have to isolate the reducer from the frame and run a negative wire to the negative battery terminal.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:43 PM   #6
big lar
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Roady.
I understand what you are saying. BUT, there is only two wires on the reducer. One to the battery and one coming out the other end of the reducer to hookup the 12V lights. It is bolted to a aluminum frame. The instructions that came with the reducer says nothing about grounding. I dont know the name of the reducer, but I got it on ebay from tricitycarts.

Sorry, this golf cart thing is new to me.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:58 PM   #7
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Connect positive input of the reducer to the battery positive as shown in the instructions. (It should be the first 2 batteries in series for a total of 16 volts.) Connect the output positive of the reducer to the 12 volt accessory's positive connection. Connect the negative connection from the accessory to the negative on the battery. (NOT the frame.) If it still doesn't work return it for a full refund.

good luck!
Old 03-01-2009, 10:45 AM   #8
big lar
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Thanks Roady.

Thats exactly how I hooked it up. I heard from the people I got tne reducer from, they said to call them tomarrow.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts