lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-13-2014, 08:35 AM   #1
Olman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Stability Issue

I did a GPS run with the cart yesterday. With two people on board, it ran 33 MPH before I had to shut it down because of control problems. The cart would start swaying back and forth and steering was extremely sensitive. This is very frustrating and I don't know what to do about it. I rechecked the toe-in and it is very close to 1/8 inch in. Tires are aired to 22 psi. New springs front and rear. Only has a 1.5 inch lift in front. No wheel spacers. The only thing I can find wrong is about a 2.5 inch slop in the steering wheel. I guess, sooner or later I will rebuild the steering box to get the slop out. What do you guys think is causing this instability? Could the steering slop cause this? The cart has 20-10-10 radial street tires. I know, carts are not intended to run this fast but I don't feel it should be this unstable. Need some opinions please. Thanks

Dave
Olman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-13-2014, 08:45 AM   #2
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Default Re: Stability Issue

With 2.5 inches of slop in the steering, it's a wonder you don't get unstable way before 33 MPH! I'd start by eliminating all slop from the front end, rebuild steering box, new tie rods, whatever it takes, and see if that doesn't help.
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:55 AM   #3
PAPABEAR1
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

PAPABEAR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:05 AM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

If you try with 4 passengers it gets almost uncontrollable. I replaced the entire steering box, tie rod ends, etc. and it's still very hard to control at 36 MPH. I've considered a steering stabilizer, but decided it's better to just go slower with rear passengers. I also NEVER let anyone else drive with 3 - 4 passengers. Almost got into a head-on when it started taking up both lanes until I reached over and hit the brake.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:08 AM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Here's what I did just to steering:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...-steering.html

This was before my upgrade, so it is MUCH faster now.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:22 AM   #6
kellybell
So wild it hurts!

E-Z-GO

Isnt there a u-joint in the steering column? Can you take a look at that? Here is a trick. Have a helper hold a front tire still with his feet, one foot on each side of the wheel, then move the wheel back and forth, to exercise the steering fault. While you are doing this, take a look at all the steering gear, tie rod ends, r&p, whatever you have, and try and see what is absorbing the torque you are applying to the wheel......
kellybell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:30 AM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

There is, but mine was very tight.

When I flipped mine on its side and broke the steering column tube, I had CRAZY tilt steering.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:33 AM   #8
Olman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I am going to recheck everything when I get back to my shop. I'm at the campground for three weeks now. From what I can see right now, the slop is in the steering box. Tie rods seem fine.

Yurtle---Did your fix stop the control issues? I only had one passenger yesterday. I won't even think about speed with people on the rear seat.
Olman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:35 AM   #9
kellybell
So wild it hurts!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
There is, but mine was very tight.

When I flipped mine on its side and broke the steering column tube, I had CRAZY tilt steering.

Ouch!
kellybell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:52 AM   #10
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olman View Post
Yurtle---Did your fix stop the control issues? I only had one passenger yesterday. I won't even think about speed with people on the rear seat.
It made it much better before I upgraded. At 36 MPH, you have to hold on with two hands, but with practice, it's doable. With 2 people, it's OK. 3 - 4 and you have to watch your speed.

My problem doesn't appear to be slop. I've driven a 60's Ford van that probably had 12" of slop at the wheel. At highway speed, you had to bounce the wheel back and forth.

My problem appears to be sensitivity.

The things weren't ever meant to go that fast. Wider and longer wheel base would probably help. I'll bet a unicycle going 36 MPH would be crazy too.

A stabilizer would probably help as well.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO