lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-08-2019, 09:30 AM   #11
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Cheap Lithium battery replacement!

Those batteries have a published peak capacity of 80 amps for 30 seconds, kind of small for a golf cart.

Since each battery has an internal BMS, if properly wired the only danger of draining a single battery for accessories is the reduced "capacity" of the entire pack since the pack SOC in a series configuration is the same as the lowest capacity battery.

It is hard to tell from the pictures but the batteries also need to be wired in series using those RS-485 connectors for the BMS(s) to communicate and provide battery-to-battery balance.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-08-2019, 09:32 AM   #12
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stian222 View Post
-snip-
Basically I used 4 of these —>
VALENCE U-CHARGE U1-12RT SERIES BATTERY 40 AH LITHIUM
I’m using a Modz Max 48v 15amp charger I got thru Amazon. Oh yeah, the batteries have a built in BMS so no worries there.
I'm curious as to what the specs are on the built in BMS of these batteries. What do they use for LV/HV cutoff? Relays, contactor or just software?
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:46 AM   #13
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I am sure the LV/HV cutoff is appropriate for the chemistry used.

The issue with lithium devices not built for golf carts (or EVs) is that the electronics are designed for a different application with much less peak current.

Trojan uses MOSFets in their 25AH Trillium batteries and contactors in their 92AH and 110AH batteries for disconnect.

Those 12v batteries usually just go open-circuit and require a reset if the BMS triggers on a cell event.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:59 AM   #14
Stian222
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
So, now you're intentionally causing one of your lithium batteries to become unbalanced from the rest of the pack.

Remember.....the charger is nothing more than a "dumb" unit that will charge the pack to a total voltage. With one specific battery being undercharged you now are causing a situation where that one battery could fall below it's "knee" and become a volatile time bomb capable of thermal runaway.

You're either trolling the forum or simply dangerous. Anyone who would follow your "install methods" is going down a dangerous path.

Educate yourself about these lithium batteries or go to a professional who knows what you obviously don't.

MHO
I would assume that it would only take more voltage from the one battery during the rare times I turn on the lights. And even then, they are only LEDs. My experience with these batteries comes from using two at a time in series to power my trolling motors. I’ve never had a problem with them being off a couple points from each other. Their internal BMSs do their job well.
Not trolling, just don’t have as much experience with lithium in golf carts as you guys. I appreciate all the help I can get.
Stian222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 12:02 PM   #15
Stian222
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPW View Post
+1

Slippery slope you're riding down. Be very careful with that pack from here on out and I really hope you're charging it outside away from any structure under a very watchful eye.
I am. Thanks!
Old 07-08-2019, 12:07 PM   #16
Stian222
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
I am sure the LV/HV cutoff is appropriate for the chemistry used.

The issue with lithium devices not built for golf carts (or EVs) is that the electronics are designed for a different application with much less peak current.

Trojan uses MOSFets in their 25AH Trillium batteries and contactors in their 92AH and 110AH batteries for disconnect.

Those 12v batteries usually just go open-circuit and require a reset if the BMS triggers on a cell event.
Yes, that has been my experience.
Old 07-08-2019, 12:07 PM   #17
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
Ugh! Ouch!!
Better to open someone's eyes (not just the OP but anyone else who may want to mirror the setup) during the early stages than to read about a preventable tragic event down the road.

Not being mean......just stating the obvious.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 12:14 PM   #18
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Stian222, make sure the BMSs are connected between the batteries so they can be properly charged in series.
Old 07-08-2019, 01:35 PM   #19
Stian222
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Stian222, make sure the BMSs are connected between the batteries so they can be properly charged in series.
Are you suggesting I get another ‘external’ BMS and connect them to it? Otherwise I don’t know how to connect the internal BMSs.
Cheers!
Old 07-08-2019, 01:46 PM   #20
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Have You not noticed the two extra cables coming off the batteries?

I guess You don't have any documentation for those batteries.

As long as you are separately charging the batteries using individual 12v chargers for each battery, there is no problem.

When you connect more than one battery in series on a charger, the internal BMS in each battery needs to communicate with the other batteries so they know when to shunt current around the battery or terminate the charge (go open circuit).

You are supposed to daisy chain the batteries using the RS-485 bus cable in each battery, the first and last batteries only use one of the cables (either one works as they are internally connected in parallel).

Tags
batteries, lithium, replace, swap, upgrade
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car