lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-05-2019, 08:17 AM   #21
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: John's Cart

I would recommend a NGK plug. After many years of working on stuff, NGK or Denso are the only plugs I will use. I use nothing but NGK in small engines.

And nothing wrong with rattle bombs. I've had some really nice rattle can paint jobs, it's all in how you prep and how much time and care you take while doing it!
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-05-2019, 08:53 AM   #22
gotti
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You have a nice restore going on here. The finished project should be awesome. Keep up the great work.
gotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 11:19 AM   #23
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecart75 View Post
I will say this though, mine did not come with shims. I inspected it again and then again to make sure. I just pressed the new bearings on and called it good. We'll see how that goes. I read somewhere that some dude ran his engine for 18 years before his rebuild. Let's hope I have the same luck.
Hey, that looks familiar lol. I think I wrote that in my rebuild thread as I was concerned about the shims because of the slight differences between the new and old crankshafts, and that I owned it for 18 years before the rebuild.......

Since you're using the same crank and no shims you should be fine......

My buggy was actually 32 years old before the rebuild. It's been about 2 years ago now and it's still running strong, I golf almost everyday so it's got a lot of miles on it.......

Get it back together right and yours should run for many many years too, Good Luck
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 10:37 PM   #24
orangecart75
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
I would recommend a NGK plug. After many years of working on stuff, NGK or Denso are the only plugs I will use. I use nothing but NGK in small engines.

And nothing wrong with rattle bombs. I've had some really nice rattle can paint jobs, it's all in how you prep and how much time and care you take while doing it!
I should have. My kid was with me and he started going on about the monster trucks they have for sale a the counter. I threw it up there and he brought me that one. It's a simple swap fortunately

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotti View Post
You have a nice restore going on here. The finished project should be awesome. Keep up the great work.
Thanks! It's definitely not as nice as some of the other members on here but hopefully it'll be a little more respectable around the neighborhood
orangecart75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 10:39 PM   #25
orangecart75
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabble Inn View Post
Hey, that looks familiar lol. I think I wrote that in my rebuild thread as I was concerned about the shims because of the slight differences between the new and old crankshafts, and that I owned it for 18 years before the rebuild.......

Since you're using the same crank and no shims you should be fine......

My buggy was actually 32 years old before the rebuild. It's been about 2 years ago now and it's still running strong, I golf almost everyday so it's got a lot of miles on it.......

Get it back together right and yours should run for many many years too, Good Luck
Let's sure hope so. It ran before I took it down for repairs so hopefully I've not screwed it up enough to where it won't start back. The new bearings already feel better than what I pulled out.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:50 PM   #26
orangecart75
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

So, what did I do today? Well, I primed another back support piece. I guess that's progress

The big thing though was prepping for the engine to go back together. I went and hosed down the other half of the crankcase and got it nice and clean. Then as I was going through what I would need I remembered that I had a head bolt that broke. Not the bolt itself but the large head piece that goes on it. So I fired up the Vulcan and made sure it stayed together

I've been working graveyard the last two nights and I've been bored. Like beyond bored. Counting the ceiling tiles bored. I did watch some educational YouTube videos about TIG welding though. So tonight I decided that I'm going to pack a project. So I grabbed my tools, gaskets, seals and engine components and took off. We're taking some market downtime so I'm doing nothing but making sure the place doesn't catch fire. Normally I'm pretty busy at work. Sorry for the level of detail but I don't want you guys thinking I'm some lazy bum and I freeload
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190705_151534.jpg (135.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190705_154157.jpg (183.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190705_154206.jpg (200.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-05-2019, 11:03 PM   #27
orangecart75
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Once I got to work I laid it all out. Fortunately, there was a table and some cardboard for me to use. No sense explaining to the boss how I gouged up his conference room table

Following the directions on the Permatex I laid out some mighty fine beads of sealant. At this point I figured everything was going too smooth. I positioned the two cases and started pecking with my hammer. The way the bearings went on the shaft I figured this dude was just slap together. That was a big NO! The bolts were literally 1/4" too short. Better check with maintenance

This was almost fruitless. However, we found some all-thread nearby that might just fit the bill 8mm with a 1.25 pitch... giggity giggity. The portaband made short work of that and we're back in action

So I threaded those down in the lower case half and just bounced back and forth slowly drawing the cases closer together. Once I got about 1/4" from touching I took my all thread bits out and ran the bolts in. Since there were five of them I ran a star pattern on tightening until I got them down and within spec.

Next the cylinder was nasty. I took it and the head into the other room and laid the Simple Green to it. I brought some brushes and cleaning tools so I did my best to get them as clean as I could. Once they were satisfactory I went back to the table and continued with assembly...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190705_165937.jpg (107.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190705_171239.jpg (185.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190705_184355.jpg (185.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190705_191408.jpg (139.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-05-2019, 11:16 PM   #28
orangecart75
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Last thing I did was install the new seals. I'll be honest I bought these from a vendor here. I kind of expected a snugger fit. I could almost press these in by hand (finger). If I bared down harder I probably could have. Whatever, they're in there now. Time will tell.....

I then cleaned the pulsar off. Not sure if I posted that picture before. Regardless, I'll post it again. I got that cleaned up and reinstalled. I tell you what that little rubber grommet that the wires run through is a PITA. Especially, when you're trying to be gentle with a 30+ piece of rubber

Once I got it on I put the flywheel back on and that's where this adventure ends. I was hoping it would last most of the night but looks like I work too fast. Guess I'll have to kill five more hours somehow The good news is that I'm off tomorrow so I can get back to painting...

Or maybe I'll... no... maybe I could... no... yeah I'm gonna be painting
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190705_220025.jpg (208.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190705_223747.jpg (183.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190629_120621.jpg (271.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-05-2019, 11:34 PM   #29
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeL View Post
Looking good so far! Thanks for sharing.
X2!
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 05:34 AM   #30
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

The seals need loctite and should be staked in three places, or they will pop out.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO