lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-29-2019, 11:27 AM   #21
Jcrouch023
Gone Wild

Default Re: 1988 gas EZ GO marathon 2pg

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
Put the battery on a charger. When the belt came off you were draining battery power while driving. It is weak.

The battery has been on a charger since then. I have a trickle charger and I always plug it in when I’m done using it just for good measures. I have a CD deck and amp and subwoofer in it and LED neon lights so I always want to make sure it’s full charged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jcrouch023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-29-2019, 11:42 AM   #22
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcrouch023 View Post
Yeah it’s turning right over like it wants to start up, but obviously it can’t because the spark plug isn’t it..weird?!

Yeah the main center bolt is still there and it’s tight enough to where I can’t twist it with my hand or anything. I can push the clutch back and forth with my hand and do notice that the washer seems a little wobbly. I hope my clutch didn’t just go bad? The guy at the golf cart shop said I would have to replace it down the road and showed me the little grooves from wear.

So I put another plug in and this time it didn’t spark or turn over when I left the other plug inside.

Was anything spinning?
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 11:47 AM   #23
Jcrouch023
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabble Inn View Post
Was anything spinning?

With the plug left in the engine, and a new plug against metal, the clutch was doing the spinning and whirring thing still but no noise at all from the engine.

If I remove the spark plug and put it against metal the engine turns and sounds normal, minus the firing up.

Old 06-29-2019, 11:54 AM   #24
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

I'm thinking the clutch is slipping on the crankshaft
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 11:57 AM   #25
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Can you do a compression test?
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 02:29 PM   #26
Jcrouch023
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabble Inn View Post
I'm thinking the clutch is slipping on the crankshaft

That’s what it seems like. Doesn’t seem to be spinning the rod. Could that mean the clutch is shot? Or just mess around with tightening that bolt?

I can’t do a compression test at the moment I don’t have the right tool here. But the cart has been running great and the motor had just been rebuilt before I did all the other work.

I’m just so confused as to what the heck removing the spark plug could possible do and why it turns over when I do?
Old 06-29-2019, 03:41 PM   #27
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I'd just ask for a compression test just to rule it out.
Clutch not being tight does make sense. When the spark plug is out theres no resistance/compression so the engine turns easy. With plug in, the clutch has to overcome the compression of the motor. Tighten that bolt on the end of the clutch. If it turns easily then its definitely loose.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 03:54 PM   #28
Jcrouch023
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
I'd just ask for a compression test just to rule it out.
Clutch not being tight does make sense. When the spark plug is out theres no resistance/compression so the engine turns easy. With plug in, the clutch has to overcome the compression of the motor. Tighten that bolt on the end of the clutch. If it turns easily then its definitely loose.

It’s definitely the clutch. Threw a wrench on it and the bolt is moving around. Doesn’t seem to be getting any tighter, though? It’s not loose enough to move by hand but just keeps spinning with the wrench.

Old 06-29-2019, 03:59 PM   #29
Jcrouch023
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcrouch023 View Post
It’s definitely the clutch. Threw a wrench on it and the bolt is moving around. Doesn’t seem to be getting any tighter, though? It’s not loose enough to move by hand but just keeps spinning with the wrench.

Never mind I got it to tighten up! Just had a long ways to go apparently. Sure as **** it fired right up!

Now if I can get this drive belt back on..UGH! There’s hardly any room to stretch it back over the pulley and it’s hot and humid as hell today lol. Just want to drive it down to the lake and jump in!!

Old 06-29-2019, 07:30 PM   #30
Jcrouch023
Gone Wild

So I got the belt on the right way and tightened clutch up, and it fired right up.

Drove it down the road up a hill and noticed the bolt was loose again and my S/G belt popped off.

Is my clutch going bad? Or is it just hard to get the clutch bolt tight enough without using an impact wrench?

Think I’m going to get a little smaller belt for the S/G as the pulley is a little thinner than the old S/G and have my neighbor try using his impact wrench on it?

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO