lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-22-2019, 11:32 PM   #1
seadogger
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default EzGO TXT 48V with Chevy Volt 12s

I like the setup of the Chevy Volt 12s configuration and can get one with a BMS all included ready to drop in at the right price but I have some questions. If anyone is running with the Chevy Volt 12s on a 48V cart please chime in. The Volt 16s configuration seems to be to high on the nominal voltage ~64-65V for the controller. So I am either going this route with a 12s Volt all done or have to find the leaf 14s configuration and build it all up which this forum has a lot of great info on.

I have a 48V EZGO Txt 2012 cart with 22" tires and a back seat installed. When my lead acid batteries are charged up ~52V I can get about 17mph which I am fine with, not looking for ludicrous speed.

Only looking to be able to get about 10-12 miles to play a round of golf and get home. The Chevy Volt battery pack says a nominal voltage of 45V (3.7V * 12) which is low for a 48V system. Will the battery pack keep the cart going at speed or will this be significantly slower and degraded torque. When my lead acid batteries are low around 48V it will barely make it up a small hill and only get around 10 mph. Since I have larger tires the torque is pretty crappy and the batteries are on their last leg so looking to upgrade. Just don't know if the Volt 12s configuration will be enough.

Also would a single battery about 47amp Hr be enough for the above mileage and configuration.

Thanks.
seadogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-23-2019, 08:16 AM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: EzGO TXT 48V with Chevy Volt 12s

47AH is too little IMO. YOu don't want to push Lithium batteries to their limits if you want them to last. I like Leaf batteries but I have two sets in parallel to give me 14S and 120AH.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 12:08 PM   #3
Riso
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I run 3 Chevy Volt batteries in parallel. I charge them to 50.4 volts and have driven over 30 miles on a charge with about 40% SOC when I returned home. I drive 9 miles round trip to the golf course and sometimes play as much as 36 holes and still have plenty of charge left. I play golf 3 times a week and have had this setup for over a year with great success. That picture does not show the BMS's
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181021_101315_resized.jpg (297.8 KB, 0 views)
Riso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 04:23 PM   #4
seadogger
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Riso. Nice build by the way. In your build thread you mentioned you were going to stay with the stock 36V motor until it died. Did you upgrade to 48V with the new motor?
seadogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 07:47 PM   #5
Riso
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Cool Re: EzGO TXT 48V with Chevy Volt 12s

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadogger View Post
Thanks Riso. Nice build by the way. In your build thread you mentioned you were going to stay with the stock 36V motor until it died. Did you upgrade to 48V with the new motor?
Yes. I bought an Admiral Mot-B2 and ran a speed field map from Alltrax. It ran great for 7 months and then the brush holder melted. I put the stock motor back in. The Admiral did 34 mph ( about 6700 rpms ) so it was fun while it lasted.
Riso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 10:51 AM   #6
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I run a 14S Chevy Volt pack. You have to buy a 12S and 6S and connect them, then at the 14th cell make a connection. The good part is that leaves a 4S pack left over that I use for my 12v power to radio and lights. I charge the 4S to 14.8v with a regular lead acid 12v charger.

As for your speed question, V = speed if everything else is equal. So at 45V your cart will run slower than at 50v. At 50v your cart will run slower than at 56v. BUT, your TXT48 is a sepex so it will limit the motor RPM. Therefore without changing to a different controller you won't get the 'full speed' that is possible out of that cart. Having said that, your speed won't be as bad as running 45V on lead because your cart will be several hundred pounds lighter.

My cart is very similar to yours and I use an aftermarket controller that I turned the max RPM to 5200 (IIRC) and that limits me to 30mph. After that it is a frightening ride.

I did run the stock TXT48 Curtis controller for a while on 14S and it showed no ill effects. I think I ran it 3 months? I switched to the Alltrax 300 because I wanted to be able to modify the low voltage cutoff, the stock controller would go too low for a 14S if ran and the V not checked.

Anyway, I run two Chevy Volt 14S packs in parallel. I have a buddy running 3 chevy volts 11S packs in parallel (leaving the last cell disconnected) in his 36v cart.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO