lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-16-2019, 08:19 AM   #1
CMillet86
Not Yet Wild

Default RXV Max Voltage

I've tried searching around here and haven't found much, I'm strongly considering doing a lithium conversion to my 2013 RXV. I have the 4 12v setup now, with no freedom mode. Batteries were new last summer and I can barely get a full day at the racetrack, towing my race car maybe a mile total plus my running around and talking to everyone. Plus If I can knock 2-300 lbs of weight out of the cart for twoing that would be great. I know going up in voltage is great. But what can my RXV handle? Haven't found alot of info on people running a 16S pack on a RXV, I've found some 16S volt batteries on Ebay that are 67.2 max voltage that look like it would fit the bill well.
CMillet86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-16-2019, 08:50 AM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: RXV Max Voltage

I would go with 14S - that is still about 58V max which is more than the FLA batteries. If you go with Leaf modules, get 14 of them and wire them to get 14S. That will give you way more range than your existing batteries and at least 250 lb weight savings.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:35 PM   #3
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

For comparison, my 48v Alltrax controller can handle 62v max so I set it up for 58v lithium. The stock controller handled the 58v pack for the few months I ran it that way. My stock Powerwise charger will reach 60.1v, so I presumed the controller would handle the max V the charger would do.

If you go 16S you may well fry your controller. If you are worried about it I would look at adding more capacity by going 2P or 3P.

$0.02
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:18 AM   #4
agpfl
Wild Gone

E-Z-GO

I believe the RXV can handle up to 80v, but it may be even more. Bob would be able to let us know a more accurate number. With that being said, 16s is well within the wheelhouse of an RXV. I have plans to build a 16s (8 Nissan Leaf module) pack and play with my controller settings, but am on hold while I build my wife's golf cart first.

You will need to get your controller reprogrammed by someone with a development level programmer if you go any larger than a 14s pack. The best plan is to start a dialog with Bob via usgicollector.
agpfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:17 AM   #5
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I would recommend doing some serious research on controller max voltages before assuming that you can go 16S on a stock controller. I know that the Yamaha controller in my cart couldn't even last with a 14S pack. I ran it that way for about a month before it started failing.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 04:09 PM   #6
CMillet86
Not Yet Wild

Yeah I found a few threads, it looks like 16s shouldn't be a problem. I was planning on sending my controller to bob anyway. I'll speak to him and maybe bit the bullet eary on the lithium instead of some wheels/tires.
CMillet86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 12:13 PM   #7
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMillet86 View Post
Yeah I found a few threads, it looks like 16s shouldn't be a problem. I was planning on sending my controller to bob anyway. I'll speak to him and maybe bit the bullet eary on the lithium instead of some wheels/tires.
Overvoltage shutdown (supposedly permanent, but I found that it can be reset at Factory level) is over 96 volts for the stock RXV controllers. But there are adjustments to be made at Deveopment and Factory levels for any pack voltage in excess of about 65 volts. A 16S pack requires reprogramming of the discharge resister voltage and duty cycle settings, otherwise the resistor will be turned on by the controller to reduce pack voltage to below the settings. All of the overvoltage/undervoltage cutoff settings, and the overvoltage/undervoltage error code settings are adjustable at Factory level. Nominal pack voltage also needs to be set, as that allows the controller to regulate output voltage to devices such as the solenoid coil, brake light relay coil, and motor brake coil.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO