lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-09-2019, 12:50 PM   #1
somfas
Gone Wild

Default 72V Lithium conversion basic questions for noobe

I would appreciate any advice on what to get for a Lithium conversion. I have a custom DD motor, 72V EZGO TXT, 500A Alltrax controller, all heavy duty cable, FnR, solenoids, reversing contactor, etc.

Assuming I would just need Lithium batteries, charger, and BMS.

Concerns are safety, and cost.

From what I have read so far, it seems most prefer either Leaf or Volt. What configuration would be good for a 72V cart and what charger and BMS?

Thanks for any help.
somfas is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-10-2019, 09:49 AM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 72V Lithium conversion basic questions for noobe

I have not seen too many 72V conversions done here so you may be on your own for that. You need a good charger and BMS designed for the number of cells you have. You are probably going to want either 18 or 20 cells for 72V. That would be 9 or 10 Leaf modules if you use the older ones that are 2 cells per module. (actually 4 cells wired in 2S2P) Make sure to learn a lot about lithium batteries before you jump in on this as they require proper handling and care to be safe. ALso - they are not cheap. Expect to pay over $100 per module for Leaf modules.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 03:39 PM   #3
somfas
Gone Wild

Thanks for the info. Will still like more feedback if anyone else has it. Yes, I am concerned about the 72V since all of the posts refer to limits and such relating to 48V carts. I do plan to continue to learn hoping that I get knowledgeable enough; I have seen that they can have major issues. I'm struggling with basics, like your 2S2P comment. And how to figure how many cells or modules you need. Thanks again
Old 05-11-2019, 06:47 AM   #4
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

I'm not a guru. I would consider myself to be electrically challenged. I just did a lithium build. There are plenty of folks on here with a wealth of knowledge and experience on here who can help. I could not have completed my build without the help from folks on here!

If you want a good laugh at my lack of electrical knowledge, here is my build thread: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/lithi...ld-thread.html Most of the BMS and battery wiring is discussed after some where around post #160.

I would suggest looking into Zeva or Chargery BMS's. Pretty nice setups for us folks that are newer to the game. Of course you could build your own.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your build!
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 03:13 PM   #5
somfas
Gone Wild

Thanks for the info and the link to your thread!!
Old 05-13-2019, 08:25 PM   #6
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Do you have an Alltrax controller? If so, connect your laptop and see what the max V is that the controller is OK taking. The lithium cells from a leaf or volt then they are max charge at 4.2 volts per cell, which you never want to charge to. To make your pack last you want 4.1 to 4.15 volts per cell as your max V.

Once we know what the Max V your controller can handle, we can help you understand how many cells you will need and that will dictate your BMS and charger.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:43 AM   #7
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsonj View Post
Do you have an Alltrax controller? If so, connect your laptop and see what the max V is that the controller is OK taking.

Once we know what the Max V your controller can handle, we can help you understand how many cells you will need and that will dictate your BMS and charger.
Good point.

I would also check your motor. From what I have seen, most of the golf cart motors are capable of up to 60 volts.
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:19 AM   #8
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBHC View Post
Good point.

I would also check your motor. From what I have seen, most of the golf cart motors are capable of up to 60 volts.
He stated he has a custom 72V D&D motor in his first post so that shouldn't be an issue.

As long as your using 72V components, they should be able to handle up to around 90V IIRC.

Running 10 leaf modules should be fine when charged to 4.17V per cell (83.4V)
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:15 AM   #9
somfas
Gone Wild

Thanks again. I need to start getting a list together of what I need so I can get more specific help for the items, and learn more about it all. What I have now is a 500a Alltrax 72500. I am not sure how to hook up the laptop to it but I assume I can find that info fairly easy. A USB cable and some software from the Alltrax site should work. Yes, the system is already set for 72V and everything is great, except for the batteries. It has worked flawlessly for the past 5 years or so. So to speak lol. Just badly need batteries now and the Lithium conversion seems to be the way.

I'm leaning towards Leaf batteries (modules? cells?), and not sure yet on the charger or BMS. Most definitely open to suggestions. Thanks
Old 05-14-2019, 11:25 AM   #10
DaveTM
Gone Wild

FWIW.....when I did my 48V build I called Alltrax and ask if I would have any issues switching to a lithium pack. The fellow told me "Power is power no matter where it comes from."

I would believe that you should have no problems but just give Alltrax a call and let them know your controller setup. They will tell you if it can handle the 83-84V of the lithium pack.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO