lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-19-2019, 10:39 AM   #11
MyCousinVinnie
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Lithium hunting cart overhaul

So, do you think it was actually necessary? What if the cells are already within 1/100th of volt to each other? Why would pre-balancing be necessary?
MyCousinVinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-19-2019, 11:05 AM   #12
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The main reason to pre-balance is to keep the charging cycle from stopping prematurely due to a "high-cell voltage" condition.

The Zeva can correct about 0.12AH/cell of imbalance per charging cycle, so it may take a while to get the cells balanced if they differ by too many AH.

The best approach is to monitor the first charging cycles and lower the "balancing voltage" if only a few cells are going above it.

You do not want every cell to be above the 'balance voltage' for too long or it generates too much heat in the Zeva board as the shunts get hot with operation.

As the cells start to reach the balance voltage at the same time, you can raise that value to where you would normally use it.

Remember the final setting for the "balancing voltage" will be "Charger Voltage/Number of Cells" (rounded UP).
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:13 PM   #13
MyCousinVinnie
Gone Wild
Club Car

Gotcha. My pack is split. I've drawn where the wires connecting the pack will go. After looking at it, it seems wrong. Seems like there should be no bottom wire. I believe the second drawing is correct. By the way, if someone wants to use this power point image for their own set up, private message me and I will be glad to email it to you. It can be modified very easily in power point. I'll repost it after I figure out where the BMS wires go.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 11.18.18 AM.png (305.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 11.24.25 AM.png (300.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-19-2019, 12:19 PM   #14
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
I sure hope you meant PARALLEL not Series.
Yes.....+ to + to +....- to - to -
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:34 PM   #15
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Your NEG to B- gets wired into the ZEVA 00 terminal. Then, in your diagram, the bottom left buss-bar goes to ZEVA 01 terminal.....then the middle bus-bar (first on the left) goes to ZEVA 02 terminal. When you get to the #14 terminal, you will put a "jumper" wire from #14 to #16. Terminal #15 is not connected.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:43 PM   #16
MyCousinVinnie
Gone Wild
Club Car

I'm actually going against the grain. I ordered a Chargery charger and BMS16T with 600amp capability, current shunt, and a single relay (other relay built into charger) and all the accessories. These things are all married to each other already, so no need to worry about whether some other brand charger isn't right, or the relay isn't right, shunt, etc. I'll post pictures when it comes. Here's my diagram for the BMS (checking with manufacturer to confirm correct).
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 11.36.41 AM.png (350.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-19-2019, 01:16 PM   #17
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Interesting. I'd been waiting for Jason Wang to let me know when their 16T was ready for sale since mid October. I would have gone that route since I already have the charger.

When did you order your BMS? How much was theirs?
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 01:26 PM   #18
MyCousinVinnie
Gone Wild
Club Car

Ordered yesterday. Charger, bms, shunt, accessories including monitor and relay was 505. Shipping 68. Total 573
Old 02-19-2019, 01:41 PM   #19
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Well I'll be interested to see how yours turns out. Hope you will share the setup and we can all see the differences between Zeva and Chargery.
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 06:02 PM   #20
MyCousinVinnie
Gone Wild
Club Car

So my BMS is here, and I'm starting to map out the wiring. I have questions. Attached is a schematic. Don't pay much attention to the 1-14 going to the cells, as I've run that by the manufacturer and they are good. Also, unlike a Zeva, the Chargery runs the negative through the shunt, not the positive. My questions are:

(1) Can I run a wire directly from the shunt to the charger and a second 2g wire directly from the shunt to B- on the controller?

(2) Can I run two separate wires directly from the B+ one directly to the charger and one to the LV relay? The HV relay is built into the Chargery charger.

(3) Should I put the LV relay somewhere else? I think I read somewhere that it should be somewhere else to potentially stop battery drain.

(4) I currently don't have a fuse between my lead acids and my solenoid. I've seen builds with a fuse on it. Is it necessary when you convert to lithium?

Finally, I'm probably going to put an anderson connector on so I can disconnect the pack, but that's not in the attachment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6363.jpg (332.7 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car