lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-22-2018, 01:31 PM   #1
harriswallace
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Another Battery exploded

I had one blow up about 4 months ago and one yesterday. This time took it of the charger which was finished charging about 3 days ago. Was reading 78.2 volts went for a ride maybe 3 miles came back home and it sat for 10 or 15min and there was a loud boom and smoke. Took the battery back to battery supplier he said the same thing loose cable or low water. But I am on top of both keeping every thing maintained. I called US batteries talked to the engineer department and the said the same thing for the cause but want to get the battery back for testing. I am calling Dpi in a little while to get there take on this too. The battery supplier said they are not going to stock the battery I have any longer which is the 8volt 205ah reason it does not sell well because of expense. So he said he can order me one but his next shipment from us battery is not until April so he gave me a 8 volt 183ah for replacement he said I might notice a little difference but it won't be a problem. I also notice the last few time I went for a ride the battery voltage was 78volts but when I would accel the voltage would drop in the low 50s and would come right back to 78volts I wrote it off as the cold weather. I did check the voltage of each battery they all read 8.7 8.6 except for the one that blew it read 8.4.

This is what I have
9 8volt 205ah us batteries 72volts

Dpi charger 72volt 12amp set too mode 1 which takes 12 to 15hrs to charge with the charger on the meter will get up to 91.2volts before it cuts off

2ga welding cable with hydraulic crimped ends and neoprene shrink

all batteries have lug lock washer then nut torqued sprayed with battery protector.

controller is a Curtis 1238 and the motor is ac23 from hpevs with regen

man this the most I ever typed took forever lol
Eddie
harriswallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-22-2018, 01:33 PM   #2
harriswallace
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Another Battery exploded

Forgot to add pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4C911DF9-7B1F-4D53-88A0-5A45F302A4A3.jpg (100.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-22-2018, 02:18 PM   #3
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Wow! That's crazy! Two battery failures within a matter of months makes me think it's more than just bad batteries though.

What is the amp draw of your AC motor? I wonder if the batteries couldn't keep up with over and over needed amp draw demand of your motor.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:58 PM   #4
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

not a fan of lock washers .... I wouldnt use them
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:29 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by harriswallace View Post
all batteries have lug lock washer then nut torqued sprayed with battery protector.
What Ft/Lb value were nuts torqued to?

Max recommended torque is only 8.8 Ft/Lb.

---------------
After experiencing two separate battery explosions, I'd get US Battery involved.
http://usbattery.com/contact/
They might be able to do a post-mortum and determine exactly what cause the failure.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:43 PM   #6
harriswallace
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

100 in/lb I did talk to us batteries and they sent a call tag for the core. I am hoping they can tell me what’s going. I am also going to bring that other battery 183ah they gave me back and wait for the 205ah to come in so the batteries match
Old 01-22-2018, 07:09 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by harriswallace View Post
100 in/lb I did talk to us batteries and they sent a call tag for the core. I am hoping they can tell me what’s going. I am also going to bring that other battery 183ah they gave me back and wait for the 205ah to come in so the batteries match

I'd keep the 183AH or an 8V of some kind in the pack so the DPI can keep it on float charge while waiting.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:32 PM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Time to change brands? And possibly distributor too, since they giving you the blame-game.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:35 PM   #9
harriswallace
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I guess I will keep the 183 for now it just bothers me cause it’s a blue top and the rest are red a little ocd problem lol. I think before I make a switch to another brand I am going to go with lithium
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO