lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-25-2017, 11:12 AM   #1
E36Racer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Question on speed/range ratio and also 12v lithium accessory battery

I'm considering upgrading my motor and controller to reach a top speed of about 30. Per my wife's request surprisingly. However I'm trying to figure out how much range I will lose. I've tried researching power draw but seem to just run around in circles. I'm decent with electronics but no expert by any means. In a nut shell I'd like to get 30mph and an overall range of 15 miles without getting the batteries in the SOC danger zone. Usually on longer trips it's just my wife and I. We typically only have passengers for shorter destinations.

Is there an easy way to explain (I.e. Dumb it down) the relationship between motor rpm and amp draw? I always thought volts are what determines rpm (or speed) and amps are torque.

My initial thought is if I increase my carts overall speed by 50% by swapping the motor, controller and cables, will my total range drop by 50%? However, it's not a bunch of start and stop, mostly cruising down straight roads. And I imaging without a bunch of hole shots the amp draw should remain relatively low. Or does a motor wound to run higher rpm at the same voltage naturally pull more amps?

If there is a linear relationship between top speed and battery drain would it be better to up the voltage with a lithium conversion but keep the stock motor? That way I have more speed from higher voltage, a bigger 'gas tank' because I would get a bigger capacity kit and less weight. Or would I need to change to lower gears to keep the stock motor at a reasonable rpm. I think I can do a lithium conversion in the 60 volt range and sell my basically brand new batteries for about the same price as doing the motor, controller and cables.

Is my logic even close to correct?

About the 12v lithium battery. I'm in the process of gathering parts for my ultimate "stealth" radio install that Furyous has been instrumental in designing. I'll post a build thread for it once I have all the parts and start the build. So instead of worrying about using my factory 12v reducer drawing from the main pack I bought a Autocraft LFP-7.

https://m.advanceautoparts.com/p/aut...g&gclsrc=aw.ds

I'm trying to figure out how long it will take the amp to drain it. I'm using the Kenwood KAC-M182 BT

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00UT..._1500997191355

It says it has a 15A draw but I think that's under max load which it probably will only be about half most of the time. Any rough ideas how much run time I can expect out of this battery? I figure if my cart pack lasts for 60-90 minutes of driving that's all I need my radio to last for.

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
E36Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-25-2017, 03:20 PM   #2
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Question on speed/range ratio and also 12v lithium accessory battery

The first thing that happens is that you lose 330lbs with the pack install so straight distance comparison is difficult.

Let's start with the attached chart as an example of range on the battery pack. This is Nick's stock RXV at EV Battery Center in Vegas, with private speed code on his test run with a 58V pack. Stopping and starting and cruising in between at 19mph.

I have a single pack that I installed in a Yamaha G29 build for a friend with Alltrax XCT48400 and Admiral MOT-D2 motor. Cart runs 31 mph on 21.5" tires. Mileage on it with his heavy foot is about 15-17 miles. Also installed a GPS speedometer on it, very accurate.

For you, going lithium, I would do the XCT48400 and a PQ motor (I am partial to their stuff). Either send your motor to Robby for the Bandit upgrade (or pay $100 for his core) and save your 'new' motor. Or as I did, get the Executioner from PQ. I love this motor, I wish I could have tried it with the stock gear ratio. Probably smoke the tires. It is very fast anyway with the 10.3 transaxle. Cruising at 30 is easy. You have taller tires so you are near me on final drive ratio. You could do the XCT48500 since you get the fan with it for nearly same $$.

That is probably more than 2 cents worth, but oh well...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Standard 7cell Lithium pack Discharge Curve.jpg (81.9 KB, 0 views)
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car