lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Members Rides
Members Rides Golf Carts Only.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-27-2016, 08:37 AM   #1
Daubers
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Operation G22 - My First Build

Greetings! I have been kicking around here for a while, learning and asking questions. The G22 seems to be lacking in available shared knowledge on here so I figured as I start to trudge thru my build, I will document it to share with others (and hopefully get some help myself!) So please subscribe and feel free to offer advice, ask questions and have some fun with me.

A little about me and my G22. My name is Dan and I am from north of Pittsburgh. I am 31 years old, married to an awesome lady and have 3 young kids (4, 2 and 5 months). I run an online graphic design, marketing and custom apparel company from my home and rock the stay at home dad gig by keeping my 3 kids home with me. So you will find quick that my life is pretty crazy and time to work on the cart and funds can be sporadic.
I picked up the 2003 G22 a couple months ago to haul the kids around the campground where my camp is at. It was pretty beat on and a miss match of parts thrown together.

I started by plastidipping it ( over the horrid spray paint camo and brushed on brown), threw some decals on the seats and a bunch of custom lights and it worked for a couple months at camp. But I cannot leave things alone and need a cart I am proud of so the winter build has begun.

We still have a month at camp so I was going to wait until we were done but then I had someone want to buy the 3" spindle lift off it and found the killer deal on the Jakes Long Travel kit at Jasons so I bit. I am now trying to throw the new lift on before the weekend to have it back up at camp.

I will do my best to upload lots of pics and post often as I go. This will remain a work in progress but some of the goals coming up will be:
Long Travel Lift
New tires
new paint
build custom roll cage
custom neons and lighting
custom stereo
custom seats
tons of accessories (building what I can)
and when funds allow, a big block swap!

I will add that this will be a somewhat budget related build. I never cheap out on the parts that matter but I prefer to build and re-purpose unique things myself than just throw money at it.... built > bought

Onto some pics:

Here she is when I got her. Truthfully it looks MUCH better in the pics than it actually was. The "paint job" ( if you can call it that was horrendous), it had been rolled and left running on its roof until the engine blew and seemingly no maintenance ever done.

Just did the work to get it running and looking decent enough to keep the kids happy for the rest of camping season.

Yes I put seatbelts in and a carseat base for my youngest

Had some fun with the lights. The kids call it Hulk, so that will be the theme of the final build, just refined.
Daubers is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-27-2016, 08:41 AM   #2
Daubers
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Operation G22 - My First Build

My helpers

Got the front end torn off last night

hmm, wonder if this would account for any of the sloppy steering.....

rear done

and my 2 oldest driving their built up buggy

Old 09-27-2016, 08:41 AM   #3
T-Hard
Not Yet Wild

Looks better already!
T-Hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 08:58 AM   #4
Captaintv
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Nice! Following!
Captaintv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:11 AM   #5
Daubers
Gone Wild

Yamaha

My impressions so far on the Jake's Long Travel kit are overall positive. Many of the pieces were scratched and dinged up pretty bad, enough that I will have to sand down and repaint parts to keep from rusting. And the directions are very lacking. They are more what you would expect from some cheap lift shipped from oversees, not an expensive product from an american company. I got the back of the lift on and part of the front and the instructions are very vague, steps missing and photocopied at such a low quality that the few pictures are non legible.

I am rarely a person to say negative things about products and I am sure I will be happy with the kit once it is on, I guess I was just a little dissapointed at the poor packaging and instructions from a company with an otherwise great reputation.

Tuesday's are crazy nights with kids gymnastics and bible study so I won't be able to work on the cart, but am hoping to get some time in tomorrow ( after I change the brakes and rotors on my wife's Flex for inspection).
Old 09-27-2016, 07:26 PM   #6
Vinny73
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have to agree on the instructions!! Total joke. I went and got the laptop and used that for reference when needed. I'm trying to figure out a different bracket for the spindles to allow for better steering. It's pretty limited now. I like the lights!!! That's a great effect. How did you wire them in? I got the front done but not the rear. Trying to find a shock or coil over that will eliminate that junk goalpost bracket to only utilize the stock shocks. I found some Fox snowmobile shocks that measure 22" eye to eye. But the actual distance needed is 17-1/4". If I go with the goalpost bracket, I'm considering the air shocks off the rear of a Harley. They produce a nice ride. But most are 13" eye to eye. Enjoy your build!! Looks like it's coming along nicely.
Vinny73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:14 AM   #7
Daubers
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Hey Vinny! Hoping to get my front on today. Taking the laptop out too to at least see the few pics they have. Once I get it on, if the steering is too bad on mine we can certainly brainstorm together on how to fix it. The lights are very simple. pack of 10 for 10 bucks on amazon and I just used the power from my headlights and wired them into a seperate switch. I will be redoing all of it over the winter and lighting it like crazy. My kids still want a hulk theme so I am going to black it all out ( repaint body a very glossy black ) and then do some green accents and tons of green lighting.
Old 09-28-2016, 02:07 PM   #8
Daubers
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I now have to change my review of the Jakes LT kit to dissapointing. I got it all together ( in 2x the amount of time it would have taken with proper instructions) and almost immediately the bolt ontop of the shock snapped. Thank God my kids weren't riding when this happened. This seemed like a very poor design when I put it on and this was why. Then Jakes sends me "new" instruction (no better, just have a few added lines) which includes a "shock support for extreme offroading" which my kit did not include not my instructions mention. I am headed to buy new bolts but am concerned about the same thing happening again (and the quality of the other hardware).

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
Old 09-28-2016, 04:01 PM   #9
Daubers
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I just got told by Jake's that the kit Jason's sold me was a very old design that has since been discontinued and that I have to contact them for a refund or replacement :(

EDIT: I just talked to Jason and he said that is impossible bc Jakes directly DROPSHIPPED this to me.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:21 PM   #10
bird6246
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

i will build you a custom Penguins cart for that NOVA LOL go with GRADE 5 bolts the shock will break before they will
bird6246 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
custom, diy, g22, lift, yamaha
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Members Rides