lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-18-2013, 11:28 PM   #1
SD70ACe
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Save A Battery---Anyone using one?

I'm looking for a charger for my '87 DS 36v that will actually maintain the batteries instead of just shutting off when they're charged, which is what my Lestronic II does. I don't really want to spend $300 for another charger and saw this on amazon:
Amazon.com: Save A Battery 2365-36 36-Volt Battery Charger and Maintainer: Automotive Amazon.com: Save A Battery 2365-36 36-Volt Battery Charger and Maintainer: Automotive
Anyone use one of these? Does it work? We don't use the cart every day and I'm tired of unplugging and replugging the charger every night so the batts stay charged in the cold.
SD70ACe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-19-2013, 07:29 AM   #2
55BigBlock
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Save A Battery---Anyone using one?

I am using the 48 volt unit. I bought it about 6 weeks ago and installed it. There is a good discussion on these in a previous post. In that post I talk about my experience with it. I am going back to the coast this weekend and I will post an update then.

See thread:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ery-gurus.html
55BigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:40 AM   #3
RPatten
Gone Wild
Club Car

Wouldn't an automatic charger save you the plugging trouble? And I thought you were suppose to leave them plugged in all the time when you weren't using them. That would be with an automatic charger of course.
RPatten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:59 AM   #4
55BigBlock
Gone Wild

Club Car

It is my understanding the chargers work on a 14 day cycle, if not unplugged. I found that between trips to the coast sometimes my batteries were down to around 85% when I got there. That is why I started looking at the maintainers. They continuously apply a very low charge. So far I have been pleased with mine.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:45 AM   #5
RPatten
Gone Wild
Club Car

That being said, I wonder if you can plug/unplug every two weeks.

Someone will post up soon with the right answer.
RPatten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:03 AM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

It would appear that the OP is trying to use this unit as a replacement for the main charger, not as a float charger.
It is only rated for 1.5amps, so I would say it will not work properly.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:34 AM   #7
55BigBlock
Gone Wild

Club Car

[QUOTE=RPatten;967232]That being said, I wonder if you can plug/unplug every two weeks.

Someone will post up soon with the right answer.[/QUOTE

I bought mine because the cart is at my beach house in SC and I live near Charlotte. Sometimes it is several weeks between trips down there. What I do is charge the cart completely with the regular charger the night before we leave. I then put the cart in the tow position, disconnect the charger and connect the maintainer. It remains connected until my next trip. This weekend will be 3 weeks since I was there. I will post an update when I arrive there over the weekend.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:41 AM   #8
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

I use a DPI charger and it maintains the batteries at 52 volts (mine is 48 volt cart) by float charging.

It should be fine to unplug and replug the cc charger to keep the bats full charge. Some will probably sayits bad for some reason but it worked for me.
Speedchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:58 AM   #9
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Different than Sergio, I read the original post as someone who wants to charge normally with his "big" charger, then plug in a maintainer to hold pack voltage after the batteries were charged. In that case, 1.5 amps is enough to maintain a float voltage. You would have a hard time using it exclusively to recharge, because at 1.5 amps it could take many days to bring up the pack to full voltage after using the cart for a day.

Just an update for everyone on the Battery Minder that I'm using this winter - every time the outside temperature drops to zero or lower, the "Battery Weak" yellow light comes on - but as soon as the temperature gets to plus 5 or so; the green "Battery Good" light comes back on. Clearly the temperature sensor that's in my maintainer is being activated in attempting to retain a higher float voltage due to the cold; and my extremely old batteries aren't really co-operating!

BTW, water consumption so far during this brutally cold winter has been essentially zero.
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:05 PM   #10
SD70ACe
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Ok, so from what I've gathered I'm going I have to charge the pack with the big lestronic II, then hook this thing up and let it maintain the charge... I think I can handle that! I know a fancier automatic charger would do the same thing but since my charger still works just fine, spending $78 to be able to maintain the charge sounds a lot better than the $300+ for a new charger!
SD70ACe is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car