lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-30-2019, 03:54 PM   #1
gunwhatgun
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default I think she's a little rich

20190930_154408.jpg

All I have ever been taught about spark plugs is telling me that I have a rich condition. This is a dry black soot that wipes off. My issue is I can't seem to find a mixture screw on this carb. It is a Duromax 18 hp 440. If anyone has experience with tuning these carbs and can either tell me that I'm right and there is no screw, or tell me I'm blind and where it is, I would be forever in your debt. Thanks
gunwhatgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-30-2019, 05:05 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: I think she's a little rich

I've never had a Duromax, but most GX390 clones have a screw hidden underneath a plug. The EPA does that so the factory sets the idle speed/mix. If there is a screw it will only adjust the pilot air/fuel mixture which controls the idle circuit. For mid/high rpm tuning you need to change the main jet, which is in the bowl of the carb.

If you clean that plug and reinstall it, how long before it fouls out like that?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 05:32 PM   #3
gunwhatgun
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Full disclosure, I think the reason it is running rich is that I changed the main jet. I ordered a performance kit that consisted of a K&N style air filter and breather filter, heavier valve springs, and a header. I got the kit because I deleted the governor and was under the impression that these things needed to be done. Hence me searching for the screw to back it down, because it is very clearly over jetted. I also have no clue where the original jet is. I can clean the pug and put it back and I get about 10 minutes before she acts up again. I ordered a factory size jet and 2 sizes up for some tuning room. I'll see if that helps.
Old 09-30-2019, 05:40 PM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunwhatgun View Post
Full disclosure, I think the reason it is running rich is that I changed the main jet. I ordered a performance kit that consisted of a K&N style air filter and breather filter, heavier valve springs, and a header. I got the kit because I deleted the governor and was under the impression that these things needed to be done. Hence me searching for the screw to back it down, because it is very clearly over jetted. I also have no clue where the original jet is. I can clean the pug and put it back and I get about 10 minutes before she acts up again. I ordered a factory size jet and 2 sizes up for some tuning room. I'll see if that helps.
Sounds like you need to go back down one or two sizes on the main. If it idles good and smooth you don't need to touch the pilot air screw. There is no adjustment for the main.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 05:52 PM   #5
gunwhatgun
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Sounds like you need to go back down one or two sizes on the main. If it idles good and smooth you don't need to touch the pilot air screw. There is no adjustment for the main.
I figured that was the case. I was just hoping it wouldn't involve ordering more stuff. Overall I'm pretty happy with the Duromax and how it runs. I'm really impressed with my son and myself for getting it in the cart and working in the first place I like how it has made the cart a little more ATV like.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:35 PM   #6
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

You can buy an adjustable main jet for that type of carb from someone like NRracing or ECcarbs . It is not cheap but you can dial your mixture as needed. The EC unit is part #169F-43G390. It list for $21.99. The NR version is $44 or so. I have the EC version in my 22mm carb.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 08:39 PM   #7
gunwhatgun
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
You can buy an adjustable main jet for that type of carb from someone like NRracing or ECcarbs . It is not cheap but you can dial your mixture as needed. The EC unit is part #169F-43G390. It list for $21.99. The NR version is $44 or so. I have the EC version in my 22mm carb.
That is a good piece of info to have, thank you for it.
Old 10-05-2019, 12:10 PM   #8
gunwhatgun
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: I think she's a little rich----Update 10/5

She is fixed!! I re-jetted (is that a word?) the carb. To the best of my abilities I sized the jet that marked as "mandatory" by Go Power Sports, if you used the stage 1 kit on a Honda 420 clone. the jet they dent seems to be a .041 and, as you can tell from the pic above, she was way to rich. I dropped down to a .039 and what a world of difference. No more popping and backfiring, full throttle is as smooth as half throttle but terrifying LOL. I know a lot of you have carts that a lot faster that a stock 440 clone, but 30ish mph across an old cow pasture is more than I can handle.
Old 10-05-2019, 06:00 PM   #9
BIKERMIKEYBLACK
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I have an older duromax 420 and like everything else the low speed adjuster is soldered in and high speed jet was way lean
BIKERMIKEYBLACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 06:02 PM   #10
BIKERMIKEYBLACK
Gone Wild

Yamaha

U say 30mph wow be happy mine has never gotten over 21 mph at 5600 rpm unless going downhill lol
BIKERMIKEYBLACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!