lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-08-2018, 05:35 AM   #1
casey344
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Club Car braking issues

We have what I believe is a 2013 Club Car. I think the actual year/model info is being covered by the custom dash kit.

The cart shakes when applying the brakes and the brake pedal pulsates similar to when brake drums need turning. We pulled the wheels off earlier this week and inspected the drums, they are smooth and there is still lots of life in the brake pads.

The gentleman helping me thinks I need new rear springs. When I was testing the brake adjustments he made, he said he could see the spring flexing as I hit the brakes. Does this make sense? It still feels like a brake problem to me.

We've ordered an $80 set of HD replacement springs. The existing springs appear to be almost flat.

casey344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-08-2018, 06:05 AM   #2
Jkerle
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Club Car braking issues

Have you checked the bushings associated with the leafs? Maybe check the U bolts as well. The only way I could see that your issue was leaf/suspension related was if the rear axle was "loose" or "walking" this may cause slack in your brake cables. As the axle walks it would tighten and loosen the cable tension creating the pulsing effect you describe.

Another possibility is unequal tension meaning the left/right is tighter/looser than the other this would cause the axle to pull toward the tighter side when braking.

Your competents all look very clean and new. I would lean toward an improper adjustment as the cause of your issue.

Hope you get it fixed!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Jkerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 06:11 AM   #3
casey344
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Have not checked the bushings yet but will and report back. He did check and adjust the brake cable tension but there was no change in the how it felt other than the brake pedal appeared to engage sooner. The walking/shaking continued. Thank you for your reply and suggestions.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:39 AM   #4
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

You need two u bolts each side to hold that lift. The axle is twisting and will twist with HD springs as well.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 06:44 AM   #5
casey344
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I don't see how or where I'd get another U-bolt in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-08-2018, 06:54 AM   #6
Jkerle
Gone Wild

Club Car

I'm only using 2 u-bolts as well and have not had any issues. I haven't saw a lift yet that has holes for an additional u-bolt.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Jkerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:00 AM   #7
casey344
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkerle View Post
I'm only using 2 u-bolts as well and have not had any issues.
A friend of mine has the same lift with no issues and his spring looks almost as flat and loaded as mine which doesn't make sense to me either. Not sure why I'm having the problem and he isn't.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:48 AM   #8
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Your driver's side brake cable is pulled so tight that you're feeling every bit of axle roll while you're braking. When the axle rolls, it pulls on the cable and pulls the pedal back up towards your foot as you brake. This creates a pulsing feeling. I have a thread about this topic. When I wrote the thread, It was intended to guide people with the brake-flip configuration and how to relieve the tension of the brake cable. This is still my preferred method but is now no longer 100% necessary as Club Car has come out with a longer brake cable just for this purpose. It's nothing you did wrong, it's just the nature of the Precedent. The driver's side cable is too short for a car with a 6" lift on it. When you install the heavy duty springs it's only going to make it worse because it's only going to pull on the cable that much harder because the car will be taller and the distance between the axle and the brake cable retaining plate will be 1/2" to 3/4" further away than it is now. The easiest way to remedy this issue is to order the longer brake cable. Part number: 47562652001

This is the thread I was talking about:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...stall-way.html
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:25 AM   #9
casey344
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Well ... he dropped the cart off with the extended brake cable and it still does the same thing it did. He said, "it's a little better" but IMO is the same as before he took the cart to fix it.

Is there a next step to this? My wife drove it by herself for the first time and hates it.

He installed the speed magnet from Plum Quick too. We saw 39 mph by the time we hit the bottom of a few of these hills, the motor (is that regen?) no longer slows the cart down. Is that what the magnet is supposed to do? The cart otherwise performs the same, no changes climbing a hill and nothing different on little flat ground we have that I can tell.

New cable:

New cable:

Passenger side cable:
Old 08-16-2018, 06:48 AM   #10
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Those single ubolts may be ok with a stock cart but look precarious with a lift block.

This is a kit with 4 ubolts. It requires new plates top and bottom to accommodate the extra clamping. Which are provided.

http://www.americanliftkits.com/club...-arm-lift-kit/
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car