lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-01-2009, 05:21 PM   #1
hitmanharleyk
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Battery problem

I am concerned about a battery issue.

I have one battery that I can't get up to speed with the other five. I bought all of the Trojans on 10/28 (stamped F and after a couple of months I noticed that one was well below the others when checking with my volt meter, I carried it back and got a replacement (also stamped F. It was around 6.0 to 6.05 off the shelf so I charged it separate from the pack. Now every time I check it, it still comes in around 6.27/6.28 while the others are in the 6.36/6.38 range. I checked it with my Hydrometer today and all the cells were above the 1.275 range and all three had plenty of water.
I also do not have any accessories hooked to the battery, I run a 36 to 12 voltage reducer and if it matters this battery is on the other side of the pack.

As I am typing I have it on my 6 volt charger trying to bring it up again, do you have any other idea's ?
hitmanharleyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-01-2009, 06:13 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Battery problem

Charge it to where it settles within .10 of the others then relocate it to the end of the pack and watch it and the one you moved it's old place carefully.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 06:20 PM   #3
hitmanharleyk
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I'm gonna ask the dumb question(s).

Do you think the one I swap it with might act the same way ? And/or will this one do better being closer to the charging lead of the pack ?
Old 03-01-2009, 06:26 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Kinda odd you had 2 new batteries act the same way in the same spot......?
Old 03-01-2009, 06:44 PM   #5
hitmanharleyk
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

actually 2 different spots, when replacing the first one I "treated" my battery tray with some under-coating and I slide the battery next to that one into it's space to make it easier to charge the new one with my 6 volt charger. I have diamond plate access panel that makes it a little harder to get to the back row of batteries or at least the back caps and terminals.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:53 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

One more thought I had was cable resistance. Check and post battery cable rersistance ..... You could have a bad one (or two) ?
Old 03-01-2009, 07:31 PM   #7
hitmanharleyk
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
One more thought I had was cable resistance. Check and post battery cable rersistance ..... You could have a bad one (or two) ?
Thanks Scotty !!

I'll check them in a day or two, it is cold as heck down here this weekend.

But they are brand new 4 ga. welding cables (400 strands) made by me with tinned lugs, there might be a bad one.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:27 PM   #8
hitmanharleyk
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Haven't had time to move the batteries around yet, but I did check them today with my Voltmeter.

5 of them were either 6.37 or 6.38 and the "suspect" battery was at 6.33 which is much better that the 6.24 I was getting. I've decided to put it on charge by itself again because it looks as if it is catching up.

I'm still planning on moving them around as soon as I get time.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:15 PM   #9
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I am not a sparkie but don't batteries need a few cycles to come to full charge, some thing to do with sulfates built up while on the shelf and before assembly?
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts