lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-25-2017, 03:54 PM   #1
pokesgolfcarts
Not Yet Wild

Default 89 3pg no start-filling with gas

I have an 89 Marathon with a 3pg motor. Initially had 60 psi, piston and rings were shot so i replaced with new top end kit and made sure the ports on the piston were facing the carb. PSI only increased to 90, so i replaced the crank seals and the noticed motor was full of gas. Put the motor back in and it fired up immediately, but only for a couple seconds and wouldn't start again, and gas was pouring out of the new carb. I checked compression and it was still at 90 PSI so i checked the seals again to make sure they hadn't popped out. They were fine, but gas poured out of the intake when i had the motor on it's side. Spark seems fine as far as I can tell, what else am I missing here? Any help is greatly appreciated!
pokesgolfcarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-25-2017, 04:50 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 89 3pg no start-filling with gas

Seals have no affect on compression.

Did you crosshatch the cylinder before installing new rings?

Where was gas pouring from the new carb? Into the air filter, or from the vent?

Is air blowing the wrong way through the carb? That would be reed valves.

I would also suggest reading this. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...fuel-pump.html
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 05:35 PM   #3
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Could be torn diaphragm in pump pump dumping fuel into the pulse line strain into the crank case
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 05:38 PM   #4
pokesgolfcarts
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the quick reply! The new cylinder was cross-hatched. I changed the seals because it still wasn't starting, and I know the 2 stroke needs pressure on the bottom end as well. Obviously that didn't work. The gas was pouring into the air filter. The fuel pump link you sent me seems like the next direction, as a ripped lower diaphragm seems to cause some of the issue I am seeing. I will try that and report back. Thanks!
Old 08-25-2017, 05:59 PM   #5
pokesgolfcarts
Not Yet Wild

I have taken apart the fuel pump and nothing seems to be torn, although there is fluid in the lower diaphragm, is that normal?
Old 08-25-2017, 07:01 PM   #6
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

There should be no gas under the lower diaphragm, or above the upper diaphragm. All gas should stay in between them.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:24 PM   #7
pokesgolfcarts
Not Yet Wild

There doesn't seem to be a tear in it, I can blow into it and it expands, I think the fuel in there is from when I turned the motor on its side, unless I am mistaken.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:33 PM   #8
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

I could see that happening if gas ran out the pulse hole while it was on its side.

Did you put the rings in bevel side up, and make sure the ends were wrapped around the alignment pints in the ring grooves?

Remove the air filter hose from the carburetor, put a string in front of the intake, crank it over and see if it only sucks in. If it blows out the wrong way too, I would look at reed valves.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:05 PM   #9
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
I could see that happening if gas ran out the pulse hole while it was on its side.

Did you put the rings in bevel side up, and make sure the ends were wrapped around the alignment pints in the ring grooves?

Remove the air filter hose from the carburetor, put a string in front of the intake, crank it over and see if it only sucks in. If it blows out the wrong way too, I would look at reed valves.
Agreed if it's pushing fuel out the carb into air cleaner likely a Reed issue
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 11:40 AM   #10
pokesgolfcarts
Not Yet Wild

Is there any way to test the reeds out of the car? They look fine as far as I can tell, there is barely any light that I can see through it, everything looks relatively clean

Tags
marathon 2 cycle1989
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO