lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-23-2010, 03:55 PM   #1
headwrench
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default valve job

my 90 g8 needs a valve job. at least thats what i think it needs. it smokes really bad @ start up then clears up after running a little bit. it seems to me that oil. is getting in the cylinder past the valve guides. could that be the problem? next ? is, can i pull the head with the valve train still attatched & leave the push rods in the block? i have never pulled one of these apart, just want to know what to expect. thanks
headwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 06:27 PM   #2
sabercat
gone yamaha!

Yamaha

Default Re: valve job

have you tries adjusting the valves?
sabercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:38 AM   #3
headwrench
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

yes the valves were adjusted and still have the smoke problem. thats why my next guess is to do a valve job. your thoughts are..............
headwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:53 AM   #4
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Do a compression check. It could also need new rings. But it does sound like your valve guides are worn.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:29 AM   #5
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

I agree with Sprid. Compression should be 155 to 175 lbs (with good cranking battery and throttle at wide open). Is the spark plug oily/fouled? Are you useing a NGK BPR2ES ? I've not had to change alot of valve guides, Yamaha's only came with a valve stem seal on the intake, but the exhaust is machined for one, so when rebuilding, put new one's on both. Good luck
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha