lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-21-2019, 03:50 PM   #1
oldphart
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Clutching/secondary question

Newbie here.....but certainly not a newbie to clutching. I was a REALLY successful open-mod sled racer Back When I Had Hair. Does anyone clearance the ID of the secondary and use a long attachment bolt & spacer so the secondary 'floats' and is self aligning like on a sled? Seems counter-productive to have it bolted to the input shat solid...

Feel free to tell me I'm overthinking this clutching stuff. If it had an HRP or Polaris primary, and an old-style Polaris secondary....I could make it do absolutely anything I wanted.....

I'm doing my due diligence prior to a VC625 into C/C DS project.

Thanks!
Jim
oldphart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 04:54 PM   #2
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Default Re: Clutching/secondary question

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldphart View Post
Newbie here.....but certainly not a newbie to clutching. I was a REALLY successful open-mod sled racer Back When I Had Hair. Does anyone clearance the ID of the secondary and use a long attachment bolt & spacer so the secondary 'floats' and is self aligning like on a sled? Seems counter-productive to have it bolted to the input shat solid...

Feel free to tell me I'm overthinking this clutching stuff. If it had an HRP or Polaris primary, and an old-style Polaris secondary....I could make it do absolutely anything I wanted.....

I'm doing my due diligence prior to a VC625 into C/C DS project.

Thanks!
Jim
Can't speak about anything but Yamaha - my secondary is a bunch of pieces assembled on the input shaft and held in place by a bolt in the end. If it wasn't tight it would destroy itself.. With all the adjustment in VC's engine mount plate you should have no problem lining it up properly.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 06:54 AM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Yeah golf cart secondary clutches are way different than on sleds. You have to remember....golf carts were designed to go 15 mph for 10 years lol. Sleds were designed to go 80-100 mph in the blink of an eye. Very different.

With that said, with the right parts you could adapt a sled clutch in there. I've seen it done. However, as you know, your powerplant needs to match the clutch. So looks like an engine swap is in your future
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:18 AM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The clutches on a cart are more like 70s sleds were. I found you can use those 2 Polaris clutches, but find nothing about setting them up as the problem lies in a lawn engine running way lower rpm than sleds. I have a 94c and its shifting at 4K-4200 with a cheater cam in a clone, I had to cut half the spring off and use slightly lighter pucks than stock cart would. But modern sled/atv clutches don't show much for weights/spring for lower rpm. They work better, this 94c is ancient design and only shifts good when your on the gas. I read you can use a clutch from a small Polaris atv and start with that, iirc they are 30mm taper, which you can adapt to 1" lawn engines everyone sells those for GC. Tuning the secondary is a pain its not very tunable other than springs and preload. I've read/seen Yamaha for example pulled a lot of stuff from early 70s sleds to make the G1, their first cart a 2 stroke. Well early 70s sleds were pretty ancient compared to today lol. Look up Yamaha GP sleds. Another common aftermarket clutch on GC is the comet 780, which is another ancient design the old Salisbury used on '70 sleds. It has the 3 arms and springs instead of the pucks, or single spring and weights like more modern clutches. But they work because a 70 sled has 40hp/etc and those clutches were made for that. I know 80s sleds were running 7-8K rpm shift by then, they engaged at 4K.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!