lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-11-2014, 01:44 PM   #1
RedHJedi
Not Yet Wild

Default Lifted G9 steering extenders (flex)

I have a G9 with a lift that I've built that has 7" of lift and brings the front forward 4.5". Everything about the lift works great, but I'm having problems with the steering. I've built some extenders, (7" tall) to go from the two mount holes on the back of the steering arms on the spindles, upward so that the tie rods can bolt back in. They're made from 1" tubing uprights, welded to 1" angle to bolt into the spindle, and 1" angle for the tie rod to bolt into. Basically, the extenders flex too much.

I'm down to two options:

1. Add an angled gusset to tie the vertical extension to the steering arm farther in, effectively triangulating the piece.

2. Remove the extensions, and lengthen the tie rods, which would remove the flex, but possibly introduce bump steer.

Thoughts? (Thanks in advance!)
RedHJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-11-2014, 02:59 PM   #2
bokeasmowl
friends call me Boke

Yamaha

Default Re: Lifted G9 steering extenders (flex)

If you've been happy with the ride so far, I'd just add the gussets like you stated in No.1 and that way you would eliminate the possibility of the bump steer you mentioned in No. 2
bokeasmowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 07:43 PM   #3
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

I did a 7"-lift,5"-wider track on a G2(the Original Pachanga lift).I used 1-1/2",3/16 wall square tube for the steering arm risers,with gussets,and they still flex a bit.Its too much leverage,it will work,but I dont know how long it will take abuse.That cart has been done since 2011,but it isnt abused.Ill see if i can get pics this weekend.The best cure for bump-steer,is keep the steering linkage as flat and straight as possible,with the.amount of forward offset you have,bump-steer is going to be hard to get rid of,without major mods.Hope.this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 07:57 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

If you lower the rods at wheel you will lose tight turning radius, that is where mine is at with a ~4" lift no risers and no drop on the arms. Its because of the arc the box arm moves in. I have 22 tires and 18 to floor. Want to make a bracket to move the box rod end, move it so it has near a 90 degree angle tie rod to the box pivot, that would make the tie rod longer. That would restore the arc of movement however be further from the a arm pivot so may make bumpsteer worse lol.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 08:40 PM   #5
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

I did play around with moving the steering box down on the frame.Just reposition it further forward on the stock mount,which would also move the pitman-arm downward.It will move the steering wheel away from you a little,and you need to shim it to bring the wheel upwards a little,since as it goes forward,it will also become closer to seat-height.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 01:02 PM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

That is an idea. I hope to put an atv front on if I get into it again but you never know. Would still have to play with steering even with a new front, or put a rack in. It does not work bad on the trails, actually the rear is hard even with the shocks laid down to soften them.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:55 AM   #7
RedHJedi
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the input guys, I also did some digging around and came across another thread with these risers

I might try and make some of these. I wonder if the 1/2 plate for the arm is necessary, or can the factory arms be used....?
Old 09-24-2014, 06:31 PM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

They look really heavy and bulletproof.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:13 AM   #9
Downeydirt86
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I haven't been able to test these out yet but this was my fix for the flex issue and i had to raise my mounting point 9 inches from stock. i had a extra set of the stock steering arms so i welded them together to double the thickness of the stock arms and then welded up the 9 inch riser and triangle gusset to reinforce the riser. they feel rock hard we will see in a day or so how well they hold.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20141007_163414.jpg (280.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20141007_163403.jpg (268.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20141007_173139.jpg (165.8 KB, 0 views)
Downeydirt86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:45 AM   #10
RedHJedi
Not Yet Wild

Those look GREAT Downey! I actually went to a friend's place to help him on a car last weekend, and he showed me how he did his, and he suggested not messing with the steering extenders at the spindles, but instead, make a single extender for the Pittman arm in the middle. I did that, and it works GREAT! Made it out of 1/4" plate. Steering is perfect, no bump-steer, no flex, and all I had to do was trim an angle out of my 2x4 tubing used in the back of the lift kit that I made, because the pittman extender was rubbing it. Now, onto the next step in the project...possibly switching all the shocks out for Air Cylinders and Air Accumulators!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts