lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Members Rides
Members Rides Golf Carts Only.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-21-2012, 02:57 PM   #1
lj-rubi
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default '09 Yamaha Drive Build Thread

So back around the first of the year I bought a basket case '09 gas Drive that came off lease from a course in South Carolina. The price was right but I couldn't believe a fleet cart could suffer so much abuse in 3 years. I haven't started a build thread because my progress was so slow and I couldn't take the peer pressure to stay moving, but I far enough along now that the "end" is in sight. Of course they are never done, but it should be hauling the kids around the neighborhood by the end of the weekend. Here are a few teaser pics which don't really show how bad the cart was cosmetically when I rolled it off the trailer.

Before:

lj-rubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-21-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
lj-rubi
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: '09 Yamaha Drive Build Thread

Next step:

Old 06-22-2012, 12:20 PM   #3
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Cool project! Keep the pics coming.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:05 AM   #4
lj-rubi
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Is this build thread in the wrong section? If so, mods please feel free to move it. I made a lot of progress over the weekend and will post more pics later today.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:55 PM   #5
lj-rubi
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

So, the first step was to strip the cart down to frame with drivetrain installed. Cleaned and degreased everything, touched up frame where there was surface rust at welds mostlly. Disassembled suspension and primed and painted everything. Pulled the clutch and sent it off to Plowman's for machining and spring install, but Don called to let me know this was the worst Drive secondary clutch he had ever seen. At his suggestion I had him send me a new one with the machining done and the spring installed. While I was waiting I got bored:

Old 06-25-2012, 01:17 PM   #6
lj-rubi
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

My first real paint job was quite an experience. New gun, new operator. Lots of sanding because the body had quite a few bumps and bruises. Shot the body with a two part urethane, base and clear, over a high build primer that I had sanded with 600 grit. Base coat went on great. I shot the clear too dry, didn't get it on thick/wet enough and the result was crazy orange peel that literally looked and felt like non-skid. So, after countless hours of hand sanding the body with everything from 400 down to 2,000 grit, then buffing with rubbing compound followed by polishing compound I got the clear where I wanted it for the most part. Whew! Body after above plus 2 coats of carnuba wax (after 30 days of curing):

Old 06-25-2012, 02:22 PM   #7
0517murphy
Redneck in Southside

Club Car

man, that things turning out sweet
0517murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:57 PM   #8
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Lookin good so far...envy green I like that!
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:38 PM   #9
lj-rubi
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I painted all of the plastic trim pieces (rocker covers, bag well liner, bumpers, dash, etc. with either rattle can bumper & trim paint or krylon fusion:

Built this temp frame so I could shoot the underside of the top them flip it over and shoot the top without waiting for the primer/base/clear to dry:

Old 06-26-2012, 09:55 AM   #10
lj-rubi
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Cleaned the pedal assembly up with a wire wheel on my drill then primed it with a self etching aluminum primer, then hit it with the same base coat used on the cart body, let it dry overnight then sanded the "high spots" back to bare aluminum, then cleared the whole thing. My foot will wear through the clear, but the aluminum should stay nice and blingy in those spots anyway:

Disassembled and cleaned the coil-overs, then primed, painted and cleared the springs before reinstalling on the rattle-canned shocks:

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Members Rides