lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center
Design Center Shop tools, fabrication and Paint and Body

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-14-2010, 09:17 PM   #1
Cheesy
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Custom Shifter (Thread Approval)

Hey All.... Here is a project that have been meaning to do for a while, and I know a few of you have been anticipating it as well. I first seen the Sport Shifter, and immediately wanted/needed one. It's so akward, and cumbersome to shift normally. I wanted something that was for ease of use, as well as look cool,lol. I inquired with a local Canadian dealer as to price, and was some what shocked when I was quoted $269+Tax. Not to knock the manufacturers price, as I'm sure the cost is right around there using nice billet, and excellent quality. Just to much for myself (probablly others)to justify spending with the wifes approval. So I was forced to build my own, or go without. Let it be clear that I have never seen, heard, or have any idea how a Sport Shifter operates in any way. I did inquire about the operating of them with one member, and my PM went unanswered. I further searched the forum, and soon found that all the good members of this forum where not about to share that information. Under no curcumstanses where they about to hinder a sale for one of the valuable, and much appreciated Site Sponsors. Which I totally respected, and admired of the good people on this site. So I got to looking at my cart and scratching my own head. This is simply my own idea, with special detail to budget in mind..... Here are a few finished pictures, without showing any of the mechanics, or mounting. Just want to know I'm not going to step on any Site Sponsors feet if I post build pictures. It is not my intention to ruin any sales for anyone, but rather share my information with others who may be in the same position as myself. If anyone opposes me starting a build thread, please post here. In the meanwhile, I will start uploading pics. for my build thread.

On a side note..... I find it hard to believe that there is no information on this site in regards to custom shifters......Or anywhere on the internet that I could find.

Regardless, here are a few pics. of my finished product. I'm very happy with the outcome, considering it cost me under $30 out of pocket....

Cheesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-14-2010, 09:27 PM   #2
bokeasmowl
friends call me Boke

Yamaha

Default Re: Custom Shifter (Thread Approval)

oh hell, I gotta have that, skull knob and all!! I got the black wrap like yours. pm or email me some drawings or pictures of the internals. Looks killer.
bokeasmowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:29 PM   #3
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Cheesy, can't awnser any questions about "stepping on toes", but have to say the shifter is "Way Cool" Clean fab work. Can I shift a "bike build" with that set up? Good luck Dave
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:32 PM   #4
4mula1fan
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Way cool! That shifter is the berries!! Great job!
4mula1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:48 PM   #5
wilster734
IDK&YDE

Club Car

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEET! LOOKS GREAT
wilster734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:49 PM   #6
Boris
DELETED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesy View Post
..... I did inquire about the operating of them with one member, and my PM went unanswered. I further searched the forum, and soon found that all the good members of this forum where not about to share that information. Under no curcumstanses where they about to hinder a sale for one of the valuable, and much appreciated Site Sponsors. .... snip ... Just want to know I'm not going to step on any Site Sponsors feet if I post build pictures. It is not my intention to ruin any sales for anyone, but rather share my information with others who may be in the same position as myself.
I think what is meant is: If you have to have IT and one of BGW sponsors carries IT along with another 'unmentioned' cartsite, use our guys. It helps keep this place (Buggies Gone Wild) online ..... and provides a place where people can come to look at creations like these.

That being said. Let us see the build ..... Thats where we get our best ideas from ... each other
My thought is there are tons of stuff built at home by us budget-minded folks. Budget minded? Ok, we're frugal, we're cheap ...... we can make a buffalo nickel sh!t So what! Show us the build.

When I say we and us ... I'm speaking for myself ....
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:02 PM   #7
Cheesy
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Thanks for the good words guys. I'm uploading pics as we speak, and trying to locate some missing ones Looking like majority rules for posting a build thread. I'll hold off a bit incase it would offend anyone.

Dave.... I would have to say, Yes... This should work for your build as well, but would have to see the set up. It is a simple mechanical lever that is nice and tight to assure some nice clean shifting.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:19 PM   #8
sabercat
gone yamaha!

Yamaha

i'd also like to see the mechanics of it. always like the "sport" shifters sold for cc's
sabercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:02 PM   #9
Cheesy
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabercat View Post
i'd also like to see the mechanics of it. always like the "sport" shifters sold for cc's
Have pics. uploaded now, but will check back in tomorrow, and if all is well, I'll do up a build thread. The mechanical parts I used cost under $7.00 at the hardware store, providing you have the nuts and bolts kicking around already, as I did.

Thanks again for the kind words all! I consider this mod. one of my favorites thus far.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:41 PM   #10
Boris
DELETED

Aiiiight, Where is the shifter build All that and no pictures?
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center