lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-14-2009, 08:38 PM   #1
yzeffer
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Opposed twin 18hp in G9...

Hey all. I'm Dan. Been lurking around for awhile now but now just kinda got my stuff together and getting ready to build. Anyways heres what I have, a 1994 Yamaha G9, motor kinda ran, tore it down bad crank and some other random stuff. So I have this 18hp opposed twin briggs, just ordered a Comet 780 clutch for it should be here within the week. Have a set of 25x10x12 rear and 25x8x12 front pirelli rutbuster tires.

My concern is the belt length I'm gonna need. Does anyone have a center of the Diver sheeve to the center of the driven sheeve distance along with a belt length? I figured if I get a couple numbers I can get in the ball park.

Trying to keep this thing as low as possible so im gonna be doing lots of trimming to the plastic and whatever else seems to be in the way. Havent quit figured out what I'm gonna do with the front suspension yet. The rear suspension I built brackets to move the rear swingarm back 1 1/2" to allow for tire clearance. Also trying to figure out my clearance issue with the seat and the carb but that will work itself out down the road a little when I get there.

Still in the planning process so if anyone has any suggestions let me know

Dan
yzeffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-15-2009, 04:47 PM   #2
Double D
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Opposed twin 18hp in G9...

you can go on mfg supply online and they have a wide variety of belts. there was a guy on this site that put an opposed in his G9 cant think of his name though.
Double D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 05:00 PM   #3
ads245
Gone Wild

Yamaha

You might want to contact CPP, a site sponsor, they sell a 18hp V-twin kit for the G9 which is probably SIMILAR in relation to the belt distance, so if you give them a call they "might" be able to send you the belt you need. Just a suggestion.

http://www.cartpartsplus.com/18-hp-v...-g-2-9-14.html
ads245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:14 PM   #4
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

UBERCART, member here, runs an 18hp opposed in one of his carts.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:38 PM   #5
HOGWILD
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Location: Western KY - My Carts: 91 Yamaha G9, 91 Yamaha G9 w/ Warrior Motor, 96 EZGO

we're gonna need pics!!

HOGWILD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:01 AM   #6
yzeffer
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I have a couple golf cart places around my place so I may just grab a couple belts and take the ones back that dont fit. Havent had a whole lot of time to work on it lately during the week but I'll get some work done on it today. Clutch should be here today so I can make my motor mounts today and line everything up. I'll get some pics once thing progress a bit more.

On the plus side a guy gave me a tractor with a 18hp opposed vertical engine in it. Was run for less then a season so I'm gonna have plenty of engine parts.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:00 PM   #7
yzeffer
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Well I got my clutch today which let me build my motor mounts and they are tacked in, havent drilled the holes for the engine yet but I may slot them to give me a little play when I get a belt. I'll have some time this weekend to really jump into it so I'll get some pics up and show you guys where I'm at and kinda what my plans are. Thanks for that Mfg supply website, I have quite a selection of belts lenghts now.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:00 PM   #8
yzeffer
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Heres about all I got so far. Motor mount brackets are made out of some 1/4" angle. Got one side of the holes slotted and I'll get the other side done tomorrow along with some tension adjusters. Still have to make clearance for the flywheel and the housing but that wont be to big of a deal. Found a belt, 45" long one from an EZGO. Shop up the road had one in stock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0136.jpg (97.8 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0137.jpg (96.9 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0138.jpg (98.1 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0139.jpg (95.9 KB, 116 views)
Old 04-24-2009, 07:19 AM   #9
yzeffer
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Got a little bit of time to put some hours down on this cart. Got my swingarm notched and welded back up. Motor mounts are finished and welded completly in. The last thing I need to do is finish figuring out the cover for the engine and weld it. Then the install of the engine will be done. Then Im down to the carb hitting the seat and the engine part will be done.

I'm hoping to get some machine time to make my wheel spacers/adapter today. I think a new welder is in the near future too. Getting tired of the flux core and the multiple passes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0143.jpg (84.7 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0148.jpg (90.4 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0153.jpg (82.9 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0141.jpg (88.1 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0145.jpg (84.3 KB, 76 views)
Old 04-24-2009, 08:47 AM   #10
EZ-GOnewild
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Nice fab work. Keep us posted.
EZ-GOnewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!