lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-13-2019, 01:13 PM   #11
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO PDS Dcx to Xct controller upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancebo View Post
Anything I can check without removing everything?
As stated in my previous post:

Since you were zip tying the cables, I suspect a plug got pulled a little. Make sure all plugs are fully seated.

If that doesn't do the trick, disconnect charger and computer, if they are connected, and break out the DVM.

To get an XCT48400-PDS to power up, you need battery pack voltage on J1 Pins 4, 5 and 8. (Unlike the stock PDS controller, you don't have to have a direction selected to power up an XCT)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-13-2019, 01:15 PM   #12
Mancebo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Also checked the plugs, all good. Scotty was Right to recommend plugging them in before the solenoid bracket, that can't be fun with it there.
Mancebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 01:28 PM   #13
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Scotty, johnnieb, just for the education, is a backwards diode not a possibility in this situation? Sounds like he didn’t really move the cart, just checked f and r.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 01:31 PM   #14
Mancebo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Johnnie, thanks. I was responding when you were typing. Apologies, that said, computer is the controller correct? And the charger isn't connnected. You want me to disconnect everything except for positive battery and negative battery pack? See if it lights up again?

That's what you are recommending?
Old 04-13-2019, 01:56 PM   #15
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Johnnie, thanks. I was responding when you were typing. Apologies, that said, computer is the controller correct? And the charger isn't connnected. You want me to disconnect everything except for positive battery and negative battery pack? See if it lights up again?

That's what you are recommending?
By computer I meant a laptop connected to the XCT via a USB cable. The +5V from the laptop via the USB cable, powers up the XCT far enough for user programming, but hides the symptoms of not being able to be powered up by the cart's control circuitry.

Unless the reed switch has been by-passed, having a battery charger plugged into cart, will prevent an XCT from powering up.

Just looking for the voltage measured on the backside the the plugs.

----------
Sounds like your solenoid bracket blocks the access to the control wire plugs.

FWIW: I mounted my XCT sideways at the top to the heat sink and remounted the solenoid bracket in its original position. I had to drill a few holes and use some self-tapping screws, but I have access to all plugs and terminals, and can see the LED.
Old 04-13-2019, 02:12 PM   #16
Mancebo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Yeah, following the post Scotty did when he installed his first, mine is upside-down using the alltrax mount. So solenoid is at top upside down blocking all ports, I don't think I have that type of USB connector to plug into computer. Looks like a printer USD, vs cell phone. In either case looks like I'm at a standstill until I get that cable. Stinks. I was super excited. Just hoped there was a fuse I missed or a reset button. Close yet so far. When it went solid green I glowed from the inside out.
Old 04-13-2019, 03:09 PM   #17
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

You don't need that USB cable to troubleshoot why the XCT isn't powering up. (LED coming on solid green after four green flashes), but you'll probably have to unscrew the solenoid mounting bracket to access the backside of the molex connectors to measure the voltage on the various pins, while everything is plugged in.
Old 04-13-2019, 03:36 PM   #18
Mancebo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Awesome! Will try that. U know, the instructions stated to screw the solenoid bracket from the back. I thought that was the dumbest thing ever, goes against everything I. Know, assemble with nut on back, now.... Hindsight is always 20/20. Will have to take it all off. I don't feel so bad. The install wasn't bad. The longest part was taking everything off and trying to remember everything. Then the plate kicked my ***, trying to follow Scotty's post, then I realized, hey he doesn't have this *** base, so mine has to upside down. So ,w hours getting ready, and 30 minutes on actual screwing in of controller.
Old 04-13-2019, 03:53 PM   #19
Mancebo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Johnnie solenoid bracket is off, what do u want me to check? And do I reconnect the pack? (Stupid question I know, but better safe than sorry)
Old 04-13-2019, 04:05 PM   #20
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Johnnie solenoid bracket is off, what do u want me to check? And do I reconnect the pack? (Stupid question I know, but better safe than sorry)
Remember to always put Run/Tow switch in Tow when disconnecting and reconnecting any wires/plugs/cables etc.

After connecting everything so cart could be driven, put Run/Tow back in Run.

Measure the voltage on J1 Pins 4, 5 and 8 by pushing test lead tip into the backside of the molex plugs. If test lead tip is too big, use a short piece of wire or a paper clip.

Attached is a picture of J1 showing the pin numbering. Note where tab is located.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg J1 shown with tab at bottom.jpg (385.0 KB, 0 views)

Tags
ezgo pds dcx xct
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO