lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-10-2019, 07:28 PM   #11
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2002 TXT issue (solenoid?)

The white wire is for the oil pressure switch. Most golf carts don't have the oil light but Ezgo they went ahead and installed the wire in case you wanted to install one.

I cannot say for sure about the coil being bad. Do you know how to test it with a DVOM ?

Do you know how to test the Pulser Coil under the flywheel/fan ?

Ignitors are something that very rare go bad . In my 16 years working at a golf course that had a fleet of these carts I never once replaced an ignitor.

Most of the time if they do go bad then it was mostly caused by the generator over charging or someone maybe connecting jumper cables backward. Also trying to crank a cart with dead battery with a 200 amp battery charger in the start mode. Those are killers on these ezgo's sometimes. I try never to do these things.

I will include this diagram. It's already on this site but here it is anyway.

Take that meter and make sure your wires are good using a DVOM set to continuity test. I have seen more than once where pulser connects have a lose connector on it.

Do I see a homemade connector in your picture ?? going to pulser coil. Check the pulser to see if you get AC volts when spinning over at these homemade connections . Set your DVOM to the AC scale . You connect one lead to black wire and other to red and white going to pulser under flywheel/fan. See what your readings are and post back results.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring diagram.jpg (178.9 KB, 0 views)
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-15-2019, 12:21 PM   #12
gregorys7717
Not Yet Wild

Thank you so much for help with troubleshooting!

We are back up and running! So it ended up being a dirty connection in the plastic plug that comes off of the igniter. Nothing a little electrical cleaner couldn't fix :) I was able to figure this out utilizing the continuity tester tracking the wires to the pulse coil.

Not so funny story - I got everything put back together, while picking up the tools... i dropped a wrench on top of the solenoid and it landed on the metal bracket that holds the solenoid and the positive terminal battery cable that attaches to the solenoid. HOLY SPARKS!!

Again, I truly appreciate you taking the time and helping!

Cheers!
gregorys7717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:50 PM   #13
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregorys7717 View Post

We are back up and running! So it ended up being a dirty connection in the plastic plug that comes off of the igniter. Nothing a little electrical cleaner couldn't fix :) I was able to figure this out utilizing the continuity tester tracking the wires to the pule coil.

Not so funny story - I got everything put back together, while picking up the tools... i dropped a wrench on top of the solenoid and it landed on the metal bracket that holds the solenoid and the positive terminal battery cable that attaches to the solenoid. HOLY SPARKS!!

Cheers!
That reminds me of the time I installed one of the cheap amazon solenoids... Worked fine. Took the cart and parked it in my shop and shut off the fans/lights. I heard a sizzling sound coming from the cart in the silence... lifted the seat and saw the base plate of the solenoid glowing. The contact inside the solenoid had shorted to the metal mounting plate on the bottom of the solenoid, which was mounted to the metal frame. IT had basically welded itself to the frame where it was mounted!

Luckily I got the battery terminal disconnected and removed that POS. I'm grateful I caught it when I did before the cart burned itself to the ground or the battery exploded - neither of which would have been pretty. Needless to say, I'll never buy a cheap solenoid again!
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 02:06 PM   #14
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregorys7717 View Post

We are back up and running! So it ended up being a dirty connection in the plastic plug that comes off of the igniter. Nothing a little electrical cleaner couldn't fix :) I was able to figure this out utilizing the continuity tester tracking the wires to the pule coil.

Cheers!
Great news
Glad I was able to pass along what I have learned in the past. I am just glad I still remember because father time is not on my side
I have done things like you did in the past on dropping something. More than I like to tell about but I have been doing this type work since the 1960's
Old 01-09-2020, 09:59 PM   #15
gregorys77
Not Yet Wild

back it again ugh! I need some advice! I have been bashing my head on this guy for some time, I only seem to get spark when letting off of the pedal or so it seems, plugs are wet, i can smell gas, I read on here that spark at the very end may be the ignitor, i replaced that and I still have the same results? any ideas?
gregorys77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 10:22 PM   #16
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Could be a ground problem. Try running jumper from the plate the ignitor & voltage regulator mount on, going to battery (-).
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 10:35 PM   #17
Timberwolflt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

[wrong post]
Timberwolflt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 08:46 PM   #18
gregorys77
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig123 View Post
The white wire is for the oil pressure switch. Most golf carts don't have the oil light but Ezgo they went ahead and installed the wire in case you wanted to install one.

I cannot say for sure about the coil being bad. Do you know how to test it with a DVOM ?

Do you know how to test the Pulser Coil under the flywheel/fan ?

Ignitors are something that very rare go bad . In my 16 years working at a golf course that had a fleet of these carts I never once replaced an ignitor.

Most of the time if they do go bad then it was mostly caused by the generator over charging or someone maybe connecting jumper cables backward. Also trying to crank a cart with dead battery with a 200 amp battery charger in the start mode. Those are killers on these ezgo's sometimes. I try never to do these things.

I will include this diagram. It's already on this site but here it is anyway.

Take that meter and make sure your wires are good using a DVOM set to continuity test. I have seen more than once where pulser connects have a lose connector on it.

Do I see a homemade connector in your picture ?? going to pulser coil. Check the pulser to see if you get AC volts when spinning over at these homemade connections . Set your DVOM to the AC scale . You connect one lead to black wire and other to red and white going to pulser under flywheel/fan. See what your readings are and post back results.

Ok i am back at this darned thing again! For the life of me i cannot figure this out! I checked the pulser coil and I am getting 83 mv.

Any other thoughts, it has a new coil, new ignitor.
Old 05-08-2020, 10:35 PM   #19
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Put your DVOM on the AC scale. Make sure the meter is set to lowest scale you have on it. Connect the leads to the two pulser wires and spin the engine over. You should see at least 1/2 AC volts
Old 05-08-2020, 10:48 PM   #20
gregorys77
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig123 View Post
Put your DVOM on the AC scale. Make sure the meter is set to lowest scale you have on it. Connect the leads to the two pulser wires and spin the engine over. You should see at least 1/2 AC volts
Only getting 83 mv :( pulser bad?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO