lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-23-2018, 05:22 AM   #1
Belmobile
Not Yet Wild

Default EZGO Marathon Suddenly Stopped Working

I have a lot of pressure on me to get this cart fixed. I don't want to pay over $1K to get a replacement but I can't seem to figure this out.

Its a 1981 Marathon Textron 575081 with Curtis 1204 speed controller.

Its been to the shop and they advised it needed a new controller. I replaced it and still no luck.

There is a click when go peddle is pressed. The pot seems to test fine with an ohm meter. The motor will activate when jumped. When testing the coil I get full voltage through the small two posts (with diodes attached) after the click from pressing the go peddle. Jumper wire between the large coil posts makes no difference. Controller voltage between B+ and M- shows only 23.8 volts with new controller regardless of go peddle position. With old controller it shows full voltage with peddle pressed and no voltage without peddle pressed.

I'm willing to start from the beginning if someone is knowledgeable of this model EZGO and is willing to take the time to guide me through it. It seems like I must be missing something simple but am hitting a wall and am out of troubleshooting ideas.

I've had the cart for two years and I've had my controller re-manned once. I've replaced some of the wires and rebuilt the forward/reverse switch. Having the car down has certainly been a disruption to my home life (and that's an understatement).

Any takers?
Belmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-23-2018, 06:47 AM   #2
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: EZGO Marathon Suddenly Stopped Working

What’s your battery pack voltage and how old are the batteries? Also it’s probably a ‘91 and not an ‘81 if it has a Curtis speed controller.

Club Car DS driver’s club #59
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 01:08 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

If the solenoid clicks when the pedal is pushed, the problem is in the high current circuit.

Connect your DVM's Black test lead to the controller's B- terminal and the Red test lead to the controller's M- terminal.

Press pedal just far enough to make solenoid click and you ought to read full battery pack voltage (38.2V if fully charged).

If you get the voltage, press pedal slowly to floor and the voltage ought to smoothly decrease to 0V.

IF you don't read full pack voltage when solenoid clicks, trace the cables and connections highlighted on the attached schematic to find the missing voltage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Marathon - Controller Schematic - High Current Traced.JPG (146.5 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 07:08 PM   #4
Belmobile
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the replies guys.

JohnnieB - That was very helpful. I don't get voltage past the top post of the forward reverse switch (the one I re-built).

I will shift my focus to that and let you know the results.
Belmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 04:38 PM   #5
mattoxh
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I know this is an old post. I am interested in Bellmobile’s reply and the diagram. To trace the red power circuit how do you trace the circuit past A2 on the motor. I placed my neg lead on last battery neg and followed the red circuit to A1 which has pack voltage, should I have battery voltage on A2 as well. My 48 cart won’t move. Thanks for any assistance.
mattoxh is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO