lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-03-2009, 09:26 PM   #1
Locascio
Not Yet Wild

Default Fresh meat...

Hey all, I am new to carts. In fact so new that I don't even own one yet. Interested in getting one to keep at my cabin in Michigans northwoods. My initial question is this....What is the big diff between all these carts? EZ GO, Club Car, Yamaha...my head is just spin's while reading through the threads looking for hints of what is good stuff and what to stay away from. I have an opportunity to pick up a stock Yam G19 for about $1200...can anyone tell me where these carts rate compared to others? Thanks Guys!
Locascio is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-03-2009, 09:36 PM   #2
Rodger's Rides
Totally Bonkers!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Fresh meat...

Depends on who you ask. Die hard YAMI fans will swear by them, CC fans swear at them. Is it a gaser or sparkie?

The bigest difference between the different makes is CC have aluminum frames under them and most of the later years have computers on the electric ones. EZ-Go seem to have an abundance of aftermarket parts avaiable for them. Yamaha have some sweet looking bodies on them. There are other differences when it comes to diferentials that one uses over the other, wiring diferences, even gas engines are diferent from one to another. There are some that "share" the use of one componet or another, but not many. Milex is basiclly a Polish clone of ez-go. Harley Davidson made carts years ago so did cushman and some others who have basiclly fallen by the wayside. Stay with the main three...Yamaha, EZ-GO, and Club Car. Some of our sight sponcers sell upgrade items for all. Items from brush guards to big block engines and high hp electrical motors to tire and rims and on and on. It IS a lifestyle being a cart owner, as well as an addiction. Get some pics and post them. It helps when asking questions from the many exp[erts here on the forum.

BTW welcome to the fun house of BGW.
Rodger's Rides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:58 PM   #3
ads245
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I personally have a Yamaha golf cart myself, and since I have had it, I cannot even begin to say something negative about it, because I have found nothing. I have ridden in them all and IMHO, I very much so favor the Yamaha's because there is no comparison. The things will run forever. Another plus that Yamaha has over the other two major manufacturers, EZ-GO and Club Car, is that Yamaha actually builds their own engines for their carts. For some reason Yamaha is the only manufacturer to break away from the leaf springs, a 1920's automotive technology and use coil overs, which provide for a much nicer ride IMO. With Yamaha golf cars you can feal safe knowing that all of the other experience that has went into Yamaha's motor sports has gone into their golf carts. Now if you are looking to become a die-hard cart enthusiast and go all out on your cart with a plethora of after-market accessories, then you should probably lean towards an EZ-GO. EZ-GO does not drastically change their design too much for their carts so their is a vast majority of after-market upgrades for them. That is not to say that there is not a lot of upgrades for the Yamaha's, there is still a nice amount. Since Yamaha is constantly coming out with new innovative designs for their carts, the overall design changes often. A Yamaha though can be upgraded just as much as an EZ-GO, for there are still many after-market parts out there. As I said before though I would never go back to any other golf cart manufacturer, but that is just my opinion. If "GroundPounder" chimes in here he like myself will tell you to stick with Yamaha. When it all comes down to it though, it is about personal preference and the price of the cart. If you are looking for anything for any type of cart check out the 'Site Sponsors," they have a wide variety of accessories. "Rodger's Rides" is correct when he says people swear by their carts, but it is all up to the buyer. If you want you can click on the link in my signature and it will take you to the Yamaha Golf Car website. Explore it and check out the new cart, the Drive and look under the 57 Reasons. Although it is not a G19, it still gives a piece of insight about Yamaha Golf Carts. Hope this helps.

Site Sponsors- http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/site-sponsors.php
ads245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:16 PM   #4
Nate
Gone Wild

And I like Club Car! Since I am into Club Cars I will give the negative side of the electric carts. Their electrical system is unnecessarily complicated so why do I stay with them? Because mechanically they have proven to be well built. I run high voltage like 3 times normal Club Car voltage. Because of this I custom wire my carts so I don't care about the factory electrical system.

I have not heard of any major showstoppers with CC, EZ or Yami, especially if you keep it stock or lightly modified. Find a good deal on what you think then post your find and see what others say about it. You can discuss details back and forth now to help get an idea.
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:43 PM   #5
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

$1,200.00 doesn't buy much. Carts in that price range won't do ANY of the original manufacturers any justice. EZGO is the #1 selling golf cart in the world. Nothing wrong with a Club Car, either. I have not been fond on Yamaha, because they change their models too often and are harder to get parts for...

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:46 PM   #6
FFPudge
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The hook is almost set!!! I have a 86 G1 2-stroke that has original motor and runs great. That's pretty good to be 23 yrs old. I also have a 98 EZGO electric that I use for the golf course. Recently added an Alltrax 400DCX controller. Bought 4 ga welding cable and lugs and made my own cables. WOW! What a diff this made. So in short, my gas Yammy for fun and my EZ strictly for the course.

Man this stuff is FUN!!!
FFPudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:57 PM   #7
craig tn
Gone Wild

Yamaha

The Yamaha g-19 is a 48 volt cart. One of biggest things on getting a electric cart is how old are the batteries. 8 volt batteries will cost well over $600.00 for a set of Trojans. If the batteries are 4 years or more old get prepared to buy new ones.
craig tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:18 AM   #8
Locascio
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locascio View Post
I have an opportunity to pick up a stock Yam G19 for about $1200...can anyone tell me where these carts rate compared to others? Thanks Guys!
Sorry guys meant to say it is a G16 NOT a G19. It has a 250cc gas engine. If anyone can give me some insight on reliabilty / durability of these engines, I would appreciate it! Also, top speed / power / towing capacity? (Have a 14' aluminum boat that I would like to tow about 1/2 mile to a boat launch)
Thanks!
Locascio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:19 AM   #9
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

I have the same cart you are looking at. I love it! The engine is strong. With the governor. still on and the nut turned all the way in, I run at about 20mph top end. With the governor. tweaked, (bypassed) it's scary fast. I don’t know the top speed under these conditions but I'm pretty sure it was 25+. I put the governor. back on so that no one would get hurt.
I routinely pulled my jet skis and currently two snowmobiles with the cart. The only limitation is the brakes.
Just like anything that Yamaha makes, reliability is exceptional.
Depending on overall condition of the cart, 1200.00 sounds like a great price for a gas Yamaha.
If you can, post pics for better overall assessment.
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:52 AM   #10
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Any of the big three (Ezgo, CC, or Yamaha) are great carts. Me personally, I'm partial to Yamaha. They are easy to work on, inexpensive to mod and upgrade, and they are built very well. As far as electric carts go, I doubt I'll ever own one. Just too aggrevating in my opinion. I'd rather take 2 min's and pore gas in the tank than have to wait 12 hours to finish riding or working. And if I happen to break down somewhere, I'd much rather be able to rig up something on a gas cart to get it home than I would an electric (good luck with that). Just my .02.

$1200 for a G16 in pretty good shape is a great deal.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
g16?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha