lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-22-2017, 07:43 PM   #11
Cruise Master
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Flex Seal on Tire Sidewalls?

Go old school and use black shoe polish.
Cruise Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-22-2017, 07:57 PM   #12
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise Master View Post
Go old school and use black shoe polish.
Spit shine them.
Rickochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:05 PM   #13
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundeebarnbuggy View Post
The sidewall cracking is common and nothing in a spray can is going to give structural strength. If it is just the outer rubber cracking it generally not structural. But if you can see ANY and I mean ANY cords breaking in those cracks, those tires are ready for use burning brush piles.
If there is any cracking in the side wall it is structural and if the cording is not involved it will soon be. The sidewall is the thinnest structure in the tire.

My local cart shop does primarily cart upgrades for resale and always upgrades the tires and wheels. He has a building full of OEM take off tires/wheels for $10 each which is cheaper than Flex Seal. If you don't want new tires you might check with a local cart shop to see if they have some take offs that won't have dry rotted sidewalls.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:34 AM   #14
dls322
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks I appreciate the replies.
The point to the flex seal is to visually improve the tires and to possibly stop new cracking.
I am not expecting the flex seal to hold the tire together or stop leaks.
The tires are 22-11-10 so they are kinda pricey so i would like to get a little more use out of them.
I would imagine if its applied in a few light layers it will blend with the tire. It says that it can be used on rubber.
Can't be sure till i try it out!
dls322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:59 AM   #15
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dls322 View Post
The point to the flex seal is to visually improve the tires and to possibly stop new cracking.
The tires are 22-11-10 so they are kinda pricey so i would like to get a little more use out of them.
I would imagine if its applied in a few light layers it will blend with the tire. It says that it can be used on rubber.
They have several different versions of flex seal. Try the spray can version. It should go on more evenly than others. It should at least reduce any further UV damage. I used the spray flex seal on a cracked fiberglass waterfall basin and it did very well.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:35 PM   #16
flundber
Not Yet Wild

I have used flex seal to seal tires on a lightly used 1995 lawn mower by taking the tire off an spraying the inside of the tire. use a good amount tire will hold air for a couple of weeks. mower then can rest for the rest of the summer. will see if tire will air up this fall.
flundber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 11:58 PM   #17
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dls322 View Post
Maybe tubes on the inside to maintain pressure integrity ... and flex seal on the outside to visually improve the tires. I've run tubes on mower tires and on a post pounder, but those are low speed applications. Your safest option would be to replace the tires. I think that I would rather have a blowout on a pickup truck at 60 mph than on a golf cart at 20 mph.
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:33 AM   #18
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Tubes are cheap and designed for this purpose. Theyll hold up just fine if you install them correctly. They make ATV tubes specifically for this purpose, Firestone has on for a 22" wheel that works great. They're about 20 bucks each.

I would highly recommend using a tube, which is designed for tires, over something like flex seal, which specifically.says on their website not to use it for tires.

But...

if they're not leaking I'd just leave it alone and not do anything to them. Run then like they are and just plan to buy tires sometime in the future, they're not THAT expensive if you shop around. But even if they're checking on the sidewalls you may still have a couple more years out of them before they start leaking from it. Hard to say for sure without seeing a picture how bad it actually is, but those cracks have to be pretty deep before theyll start to leak.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:22 AM   #19
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeCW View Post
Maybe tubes on the inside to maintain pressure integrity ... and flex seal on the outside to visually improve the tires. I've run tubes on mower tires and on a post pounder, but those are low speed applications. Your safest option would be to replace the tires. I think that I would rather have a blowout on a pickup truck at 60 mph than on a golf cart at 20 mph.
I've actually had "both" happen. Truck at 65ish MPH complete surrounded by cars in Atlanta rush hour on I-85. While driving my just bought buggy downhill with the go pedal to the floor, had a tire pass me. My biggest concern was to find all four lug nuts. Found 3.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO