lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-16-2012, 10:55 AM   #1
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Question 22 inch tires

I used the search function, but did not find anything related to this exact question. Sorry if it is an old topic. I'm a newbie.

I have an old 97 DS 48 volt with the standard/stock 8inch rims. It seems slow to me but I have nothing to compare it with. I have not yet used my GPS to check the speed. No big deal.

I am planning to use a helper spring to remedy the old spring sag and was thinking of using rear shackles to raise it about two inches. My question is:
Can I use a 22 inch tire on my 8 inch rim and still have clearance? It will only be on the back. This is a road and possibly golf course use only vehicle, NOT for four wheeling, hunting, etc. Most of my travel will be on the road surface. So, if the 22 inch will work on the stock rims, will a 22x10x8 work? It was either this or thinking of getting some 10 inch rims for the back. But, I would like to use the 8 inch if possible. I am not going to put a lot of money into this cart, as it will likely end up being my second cart when I purchase a gas car. This one will probably be used primarily by the spouse.

By the way, the front tires are practically new and the rear tires are due to be replaced. That's the reason for the question. Decided to lift it a bit in the back and hoped to get a mph or so more by the larger tire. I'll put a new set of shiny hub covers on it to smooth out some of the ugly.

If you know of another string that already addressed this issue, I apologize and would appreciate a link to it.
MDLNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-16-2012, 05:17 PM   #2
buckmanmike
Gone Wild

Default Re: 22 inch tires

if you raise the rear end via shackles, the only problem would be the offset . You could use spacers, but for a few dollars you could buy offset wheels. I would suggest buying tires and wheels together already mounted. I did this on a 4wheeler and was able to outrun my buddy with same 4wheeler but stock tires.
buckmanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:37 PM   #3
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Welcome!You can buy Offset steel-wheels for under $20 each,ATV tires range from $40-$150 each depending on your choice of tire.Alot of the package-deals aren't real aggresive tread,so look around alot before you buy.I run 22x11-8s' on my carts with steel offset wheels,they work good,look good,and they are much cheaper than Aluminum wheels,which I would end up wrecking anyway as I'm not always easy on my cart.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:00 PM   #4
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Red face Re: 22 inch tires

Good information, thanks. Hate to ask a lame question, but since I am new at this golf cart thing, it's to be expected that I will learn by embarrassing questions. I understand the concept of "off set" but my understanding is that there are different size offsets, inside and outside of the wheel. If you could give me a hint as to how much offset would probably work, I would be grateful. I am assuming an offset from the rear of the wheel so that it would move the tire out from the chassis? Or, did I get that reversed? Actually, it might help if you were to tell me what wheel - tire combination you used. Thanks to all for you patience. If I am rehashing old comment threads, sorry because I haven't found them yet.

So, ATV wheels might work on it? Of course, I will be looking for a street tread type tire, if possible.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:52 PM   #5
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Most stock cart rims are 7" wide with no offset.When you measure from the vertical lip of the bead to the center its' 3.5" on the outside and inside.Offsets are 2"/5", or 3"/4", The lesser being the inner measurement,which will push the wheel outwards from the hub.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:02 PM   #6
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Got it, thanks. I have had no problems finding 20 inch tires, but 22 inch for 8 inch rims has been difficult. Especially when I am looking for a road type tread. It appears that it is easier to go to a 10 inch wheel if I want 22inch tire.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:22 PM   #7
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

I got a special size tire off ebay that I have never seen anywhere else. Cant remember the name of the company though, they were great to work with, got rims and tires, mine are 2/5 offset. They had a large selection of tires. I had to put some fender flare extenders on cuz the tire sticks out of the wheel well and sprays mud and debris into the cart.
Speedchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:30 PM   #8
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

I looked them up, its Tucker Tire out of Tenn.. If you go to their ebay store thay have a larger selection of tires and wheels and they will mount em for you.
Speedchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:13 PM   #9
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Great! Thanks.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car