lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-15-2019, 05:01 PM   #21
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: 1989 marathon

Sounds like it should with good compression to me. Charge it up or put another battery in it and see what happens. Might be OK. It's not locked up.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-15-2019, 05:03 PM   #22
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

I don't know about without a battery in those. A CC will. You may just have a bad SG not throwing juice.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 09:25 PM   #23
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

What happened with it? Give us some updates!
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 11:29 PM   #24
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

With battery charged it does turn over and run, just not well. But it makes a TON of noise. Hard to tell if its coming from the clutch or the motor but she isnt happy lol.

Good news, it isnt locked up. Dont think it ever actually was, but wow this compression stroke is tough to turn by hand! I'll mess with it a little bit, but see what happens. I dont plan to put a lot of effort into it. I am still considering a lifan motor just to be a fun little go kart and ditch the starter/generator for key start for a simple swap. But well see :)
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 10:18 AM   #25
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Guess we can close this thread lol she is officially done now. It was 120psi compression. Now it's closer to 50. So pulled the top end off for a better look. It appears the ports in the cylinder tried to eat the piston

Theres a considerable amount of metal in the motor and that noise... wasnt the clutch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUTDg8tfjtA

So between crankshaft, top end, and everything else this cart needs I'm done messing with the motor. Head is good, carb is perfect, starter/generator is good, reeds look great... itll offset the cost of the cart. Still debating to put a predator or lifan motor in it and just letting the kids go to town. Or part it out completely and scrap or give away the frame.

At least I got 10 minutes of fun out of a new crankshaft seal

Surprisingly, the cylinder itself actually.looks like it's in pretty good shape. Theres 1 scratch where it looks a bit scored, but it's not very deep. I'll run a hone through it and see if it hones out before tossing it in the scrap pile
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190616_101506.jpg (107.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20190616_103330.jpg (235.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20190616_101001.jpg (254.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-16-2019, 11:01 AM   #26
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

I had one of these carts sitting out back of my shop for over a year.

I am not into these 2-strokes so I sold the cart for $250 with a good engine. It did probably need seals and rings though because of all the years sitting.

I had removed the engine last year to use a few parts to get another one going but the crank and cyl and piston were perfect. Those flywheels are a bitch to remove if they have been sitting for a lot of years like the one I had.

The engine was in a box town apart when I sold it and I had removed a few things off the cart itself. The body was rough, tires dry rotted. The person that bought it was thrilled and so was I to get rid of it.

I had bought it for $100 just to use the parts I needed to get one that I was working on at the time.

cp241, if your cart needs all I just saw on the video then yes I would depart with it unless you could come into a deal like I did .
I know where a 1988 is sitting that has a good engine but I would have to cut a large tree blocking the road. I can get it for next to nothing but I am going to pass . I am too old and its hot here west of Mayberry
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 01:05 PM   #27
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Lol yeah, the motor is trashed. For sure. Funny, the flywheel was super easy to remove. I just used my puller and a 14mm wrench, didn't even need the impact. The crank seal was just bouncing around under the pickup so I thought "great... this was easy". Got the engine back in and it died on its maiden voyage

It is what it is. Sometimes you win sometimes you're not so lucky. Either way, never know until.you try. It's all part of the adventure :) I've got a DS that I'll focus on for a while, it's a much better starting point. I just picked this up on a whim because I've never had one of the 2 strokes
Old 06-16-2019, 07:39 PM   #28
Aaron.perez
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

i would be interested in the frame if it goes to scrap. i rescued a 94 marathon and the frame is pretty bad.
Aaron.perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 08:41 PM   #29
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron.perez View Post
i would be interested in the frame if it goes to scrap. i rescued a 94 marathon and the frame is pretty bad.
I responded to your PM. Let me figure out what I'm doing with the cart and I'll let you know.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:00 AM   #30
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig123 View Post
I had one of these carts sitting out back of my shop for over a year.

I am not into these 2-strokes so I sold the cart for $250 with a good engine. It did probably need seals and rings though because of all the years sitting.

I had removed the engine last year to use a few parts to get another one going but the crank and cyl and piston were perfect. Those flywheels are a bitch to remove if they have been sitting for a lot of years like the one I had.

The engine was in a box town apart when I sold it and I had removed a few things off the cart itself. The body was rough, tires dry rotted. The person that bought it was thrilled and so was I to get rid of it.

I had bought it for $100 just to use the parts I needed to get one that I was working on at the time.

cp241, if your cart needs all I just saw on the video then yes I would depart with it unless you could come into a deal like I did .
I know where a 1988 is sitting that has a good engine but I would have to cut a large tree blocking the road. I can get it for next to nothing but I am going to pass . I am too old and its hot here west of Mayberry
I started with a marathon 4 stroke, and then got a marathon 2 stroke 3pg..... It was a way nicer cart with a lift kit, nice body, clean cart, sold the 2 stroke within 3 months. had motor rebuilt professionally so it was brand new when I put it in. Noisy, sounds like a spaceship, smells like a chainsaw, super slow, yuck. I will never screw with a 2 stroke ever again, even for a "deal" unless I was pulling the motor to swap
nwocart is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO