lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-22-2019, 05:00 AM   #1
Greylock
Not Yet Wild

Default First time with Alltrax tool kit!

I plan on using the alltrax tool kit this weekend for my first time !
Are there any variables that I should not exceed? I want to get the regen back to where it was with the steep hill personality chip when I had the stock controller. I also plan on playing with the throttle rate.
Cart is a 2006 PDS 36v 2ga cables Stock motor with xct 500 with hd solenoid already turned down to 400 from Scottyb. Also what does the "turbo" do/effect ?I just don't want to hurt anything I need the cart to make it through the camping season.
Greylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-22-2019, 05:07 AM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: First time with Alltrax tool kit!

Make a backup of the parameters before changing them. Download the manual to get a rough idea of what each parameter does. From what I've read, the descriptions are less than adequate. Only change one parameter at a time, to see what it seems to do. Save frequently and give the files meaningful names. If all goes to crap, you can always revert to previous settings, or even original.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:56 AM   #3
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

IIRC the 'turbo' function changes your acceleration rate. I was told once that if you mainly drive on pavement, use turbo. If you mainly drive on grass, turn turbo off. Don't know if that was accurate or not though.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:16 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greylock View Post
I plan on using the alltrax tool kit this weekend for my first time !
1. Are there any variables that I should not exceed?

2. I want to get the regen back to where it was with the steep hill personality chip when I had the stock controller.

3. I also plan on playing with the throttle rate.

4. Cart is a 2006 PDS 36v 2ga cables Stock motor with xct 500 with hd solenoid already turned down to 400 from Scottyb.

5. Also what does the "turbo" do/effect ?

6. I just don't want to hurt anything I need the cart to make it through the camping season.
1. Other than turning down the Max Motoring Armature and Battery Amps to 400A while using a stock PDS motor and RPM limiting the motor to 6000RPM or so, the rest of the adjustment are fairly benign and you can play with them to get the driving attributes that you prefer.

2. The regen braking of a stock PDS controller and that of an XCT is different, so you'll have to play with the Max Regen Armature and Battery Amps (both should be set to same amp value) until it feels right to you. Start at about 100A and tweak up or down as needed.

With the stock PDS controller, the field amps used for regen braking are fixed levels, more for Steep Hill mode and less for Mild Hill mode, and the faster the cart is going, the stronger the regen braking is and it tapers off as the cart slows, becoming non-existent under about 10MPH. With the XCT controllers with a motor speed sensor attached and speed limiting selected, the motor RPM is used to adjust the field amps so the amount of regen braking stays fairly constant as cart slows and will almost bring the cart to a standstill.

3. Throttle Rate is how quickly the controllers output ramps up or down to a change in pedal position. The higher the number, the faster it responds. Start at about 15 and tweak from there.

There are also Throttle Linearity as well as Throttle Speed and Torque curves to play with.

5. With an XCT that has a motor speed sensor attached, Turbo increases both low end torque and top speed.

6. Keep an eye on the motor temperature. Don't run at top speed or low speeds for long distances. Both of those generate a lot of motor heat.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:02 PM   #5
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

I've found that the Max Regen Armature Amps controls the pedal up braking. The Max Regen Battery Amps controls the roll away braking. I don't like to use pedal up regen braking because I want to do all the braking, so I set its value to zero. I don't want to find my cart rolling away in the parking lot so I set the Max Regen Battery to about 100amps. Check your roll away function to see if it is working to suit you.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 04:05 AM   #6
Greylock
Not Yet Wild

Thanks everyone you have explained a lot more than the instructions do!
i will post after i try it this weekend
Old 05-25-2019, 04:00 PM   #7
Greylock
Not Yet Wild

So I tried it today! Definitely can see a difference with changing the throttle rate. I can see any difference in the regen when playing with either setting. The only difference I noticed is won’t increased battery regen is if you are stopped on a hill and let off the brakes it will definitely hold back very well. I still can’t seem to get anywhere near the amount of pedal up regen braking that I had with the steep hill personality chip on the stock controller. I will continue to keep trying
Old 05-25-2019, 04:06 PM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

After the holiday weekend, try calling Alltrax, if you haven't gotten it by then.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 04:54 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greylock View Post
So I tried it today! Definitely can see a difference with changing the throttle rate. I can see any difference in the regen when playing with either setting. The only difference I noticed is won’t increased battery regen is if you are stopped on a hill and let off the brakes it will definitely hold back very well. I still can’t seem to get anywhere near the amount of pedal up regen braking that I had with the steep hill personality chip on the stock controller. I will continue to keep trying
Do you have the motor speed sensor connected and the Enable Speed Limit box checked? If not, the regen braking will be fairly mild.

Also, adjust the the Max Regen Armature Amps, the Max Regen Battery Amps and the Plug Brake Current all the way to the right.

FWIW: The walkaway safety (rolling when pedal not pushed while in RUN mode) applies the maximum regen braking no matter where the above mentioned sliders are set.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 04:59 AM   #10
Greylock
Not Yet Wild

The speed sensor is connected and speed limit enabled is also enabled. The faster I go the more I can feel the regen and can see it on the voltmeter. But certainly no where near the amount I had with the steep hill chip. This wouldn't be a problem if we didn't have a really steep hill at our campground that takes both feet on the brakes with 4 people on board.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO