lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-15-2017, 08:33 PM   #1
2002ezgomike
Not Yet Wild

Default Alltrax SPM-48500 Motor Controller no increased performance

I just installed Alltrax spm-48500 controller, heavy duty FNR switch, solenoid and 2 gauge wires in my 2002 ezgo txt series 36 volt cart. No increase in performance. I hooked the computer up and the controller is set up for 500 amps output. Not sure if it is relevant, the monitor when I am running the cart shows that the batteries and motor max out around is around 160 amps.
2002ezgomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-15-2017, 10:03 PM   #2
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Alltrax SPM-48500 Motor Controller no increased performance

That's pretty odd. I've got a 2001 txt, Series, 36v. When I put the 48500 in I gained about 4 mph, and got a nice increase in torque. Have you tested your pack, along with each battery? What controller did you have before? What kind of speed before and after? Stock motor?
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 10:40 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Dang, your batteries must really suck.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 01:13 AM   #4
Revolution
Voltaholic

Mixed Breed

Yup, your batteries are dead! Might as well make the jump to 48 volts!
Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:50 AM   #5
2002ezgomike
Not Yet Wild

I have a stock motor and had the stock controller before the 48500 was installed. Batteries are showing 37 volts. Previous owner said batteries were only a year old Duracell. Thanks
Old 01-16-2017, 10:06 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Use an in dash battery meter or attach a handheld meter to the pack and see what the pack voltage is under a full load ( while under hard acceleration or driving uphill)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:18 AM   #7
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Changing to a higher amp controller will not in itself increase the speed of a series cart if that is what you were expecting. With the increased amps available you can do things that will increase speed like changing the gear ratio with gears or tire diameter. This is different than sepex carts where frequently a controller change increases both speed and torque. This is well documented in this forum. Here is just one reference:http://www.cartsunlimited.net/tech-help-.html

If your batteries are on the way out, might be a good time to think about 48v. This will be a significant increase in performance in both torque and speed. I have experienced it myself.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:50 AM   #8
2002ezgomike
Not Yet Wild

Thanks
Old 01-16-2017, 12:22 PM   #9
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
Changing to a higher amp controller will not in itself increase the speed of a series cart if that is what you were expecting. With the increased amps available you can do things that will increase speed like changing the gear ratio with gears or tire diameter. This is different than sepex carts where frequently a controller change increases both speed and torque. This is well documented in this forum. Here is just one reference:http://www.cartsunlimited.net/tech-help-.html

If your batteries are on the way out, might be a good time to think about 48v. This will be a significant increase in performance in both torque and speed. I have experienced it myself.
Kernal, I always read your posts with a ton of respect, and you helped me out quite a bit during my rebuild. I'm curious to how I gained over 4 mph when I went to the 48500. My cart was doing 19 from the factory, and through this forum, it was realized that I had some sort of factory upgraded motor. I did go to 2g cables, along with every other wire being cleaned or replaced. I also upgraded to the super duty contactor. However, I'm still running the same 36v pack, yet have gained that 4 mph. I honestly don't think my original cables, or the f/r switch, we're in bad shape. I only upgraded those items because I had the whole thing torn apart and plan on going to 48v. So, in my case, it seemed the only thing that made a difference was the new controller. Maybe those other items weren't in as good of shape as I thought and were costing me speed and torque?
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 02:03 PM   #10
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Yea, I saw that in your earlier post. In your case something else must have also changed. Maybe some week spot was fixed with your upgrades and refurbishment. Electric carts are sensitive to rolling resistance. Did you replace bearings? Change tires and or tire pressure? New brakes or brakes properly adjusted now? Sometimes tire pressure alone is good for 1-2mph. New tires with bigger diameter? This effectively changes the final drive ratio. Did you use the same phone/app/GPS or whatnot to measure speed before and after? Possibly week/failing mofsets in the original speed control? (no way to test that unless you have equipment and skills). New batteries? Just guessing.
Series carts have no rpm connection to the controller like sepex carts do. It's common for a sepex cart to get a speed increase from just a controller change because the restrictions are removed. Sepex controllers also employ field weakening (throttle map) not done in series controllers. This can get technical and way over my comfort level in a hurry but I'm pretty sure it's well established here that series controllers in and of themselves don't increase speed but they can allow/support other things that do increase speed.

I haven't looked at your build thread lately. Did you change weight? Remove a back seat or something?
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO